Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Quick question

• Please log in to reply

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
My mate brought over a laptop today and asked me if I wanted to buy it. In which I wasn't interested. Something did interest me though.

When you right click my computer/properties. Under the computer info. It stated it was a Pentium 4 2.00 GHz then under it, it stated 1.99 GHz, 512 Mb RAM.

I looked at my computer/properties about 2 minutes later and it stated the processor was 1.20 GHz. Every time you go to my computer/properties, sometimes it would read 1.99 GHz (which would be normal) and other times 1.20 GHz.

I'm not after a fix as I wasn't interested in the laptop. I would like to know what was causing this to happen. Could the processor be faulty?

Also when you hit ctrl+alt+delete and read the performance CPU Usage. It never went above 4%. So nothing strange there. The laptop was also plugged into the mains.

Edited by Oddysee, 26 December 2008 - 01:04 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What you're witnessing is called "Speedstep", or "Dynamic Switching".

Laptops can run on batteries, so power setting adjusments allow the processor to run at a lower speed, depending on the workload, to extend battery life. You can change the way the dynamic switching works by changing the Power settings of the laptop. If you choose "Always On", or something like that, the processor will always run full speed, but then, battery life (and heat) become a factor. If you choose "Max Battery", the processor will always run at the lowest rated speed.

Manufactures will normally set the laptop up for dynamic switching so nothing is wrong with your friend's laptop. It's working as designed.

Edited by makai, 26 December 2008 - 01:24 PM.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Ok, thanks a lot mate.