Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible VideoCard Problem (Please Help)

• Please log in to reply

jizzeff

jizzeff

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I recently Upgraded to Vista 32bit and I am having some issues that I can't figure out. I am thinking it might be my video card.

When I was running XP I started to see colored pixels here and there on my monitor not only in windows but on startup as well.
I continued to see them even when I upgraded to Vista. Now i am getting a few more issues. I get black fickering lines across the screen after the computer has been on for a while and also a large flickering triangles. After a restart everything seems ok until the computer again is on for a while.

I can't seem to figure this one out. I have installed old and new drivers with no change. Is it possible my video card is over heating???? Or is it the card at all????

Can anyone please help???

I am running a
Dell XPS 400
Pentium D 3GHz
4GB Ram
Geforce 7900 GS

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is a sign of a vid card problem. A couple things to consider. If your computer was left off all night, and as soon as you turned it on the display was messed up, then it's probably a bad vid card... or perhaps the vid card just has to be removed and the contacts cleaned, then reinstalled.

If the display only messes up after the computer has warmed up, then it's still the vid card, but it may be that the vid card fan is not doing it's job... if it even has a fan. Overheating problem.

What I would do is open up the computer and check to see if the fan (if any) on the vid card heatsink is running. If the heatsink is clogged by dust, blow it out with a can of compressed air. Go slow, and don't just blast the air. While you're in there, you may as well clean out the rest of the computer... to include the CPU heatsink and PSU. Uhhh, please turn off your computer, and disconnect the AC before doing any of this.

The other thing you can do to verify is to swap monitors. All the symptoms you describe points to a dying vid card.

jizzeff

jizzeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for your input, I have taken the card out and cleaned it good, I still here the fan come on and off so it is working.

I am going to try and change the fan speed with RivaTuner next to see if this changes anything.

Leokage

Leokage

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have the same problem. I cleaned up the inside of my computer, but I still see lines going across my screen in windows, including start up.
Installing old and new drivers won't work. There isn't any problem issues related to my monitor. Does it mean I have a dying graphic card???

jizzeff

jizzeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I downloaded and used RivaTuner and increased my fan speed from 25% to 50% and it fixed my problems.
Give it a try.

Leokage

Leokage

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

I downloaded and used RivaTuner and increased my fan speed from 25% to 50% and it fixed my problems.
Give it a try.

Are there any risks before I make any final changes to my computer??

Edited by Leokage, 31 December 2008 - 08:11 AM.

Leokage

Leokage

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
What version have you got of Rivatuner??

jizzeff

jizzeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
V2.21

Leokage

Leokage

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

V2.21

I've been searching and I couldn't find your version of RivaTuner, I only got v2.22 (which I find some of the fan settings doesn't allow me to directly change the 1st and 2nd fan speed except it only lets me change the 3rd.

I also downloaded and use GPU-Z which shows my temperature running at 61 C (is it a good sign??)

Attached Thumbnails

• fanspeedv_222.jpg
  • v2.22.jpg

Edited by Leokage, 01 January 2009 - 07:41 PM.

jizzeff

jizzeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
http://forums.nvidia...showtopic=85056

Here is where I got some help setting it up.

Make sure after you change it to check the apply at windows startup check box.

Where?Wolf Wrote

(Normal load is around 65 - around 70 C. Idle, about 45-50C

First, click the "settings" tab in the Riva Tuner main menue. Check the box "Start with Windows" and "send to tray on close".

You can find the settings for the fan if you click the button in the "forceware detected" window in the main menue. And then the "videocard icon" + the "fan tab"

Change the small window in the upper right corner to "direct control". Try with around 50% fan speed first, and see if this is sufficient?)

Edited by jizzeff, 02 January 2009 - 01:25 PM.