Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Test Error

• Please log in to reply

Ajsam

Ajsam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Inspeiron 8600 with factory installed Windows XP. I have been using this computer for about 6 years without any problems, until today. While starting my computer I get a blue screen with STOP: 0x00000ED (0x82F76900, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) Unmountable boot volume. I ran the PSA Diagnostic hard drive test and recieved error 0F00:0244, message block 46009336 uncorrectable data error or media is write protected. Any help on what to do next would be greatly appriciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
burning cd...do this on a working computer and then put in the nonbootable system

If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /f/r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

Ajsam

Ajsam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you. THis got my computer up and running again. I did loose some files that I didn't have backed up, but I'm just glad to have my computer back. Thanks again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)
remember this...any data you don't have at least 2 copies of is data you really don't care about

Edited by happyrock, 27 December 2008 - 08:37 PM.