Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DDR2 ram not installed in pairs/colour coded slots but every other slo

• Please log in to reply

platinum gold

platinum gold

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
For some bizarre reason they have built my new pc with the 2 x 2gb ram (DDR2) in every other slot on the board, (it has 4 slots for ram) and NOT in the colour coded way/pairs. Why would they do that? I've read the m/b manual and it says if you have a pair of the exact same sticks of ram its best to put them in together in either the yellow colour coded slots, or the orange colour coded slots, something to do with taking advantage of dual memory. I've decided to open the case and move the ram so that they are next to each other in a pair both in the same colour slots. Hope I havent jumped to the wrong conclusion but they do appear identical, same stickers on them with same dets. Touched the case the whole time in case of static. Still shows in system memory as 2.87gb so it appears to work same as before. Just wondering why I as a novice should have to do that, when its coming pre-built from the professionals who should know better.

Edited by platinum gold, 26 December 2008 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

For some bizarre reason they have built my new pc with the 2 x 2gb ram (DDR2) in every other slot on the board, (it has 4 slots for ram) and NOT in the colour coded way/pairs. Why would they do that? I've read the m/b manual and it says if you have a pair of the exact same sticks of ram its best to put them in together in either the yellow colour coded slots, or the orange colour coded slots, something to do with taking advantage of dual memory. I've decided to open the case and move the ram so that they are next to each other in a pair both in the same colour slots. Hope I havent jumped to the wrong conclusion but they do appear identical, same stickers on them with same dets. Touched the case the whole time in case of static. Still shows in system memory as 2.87gb so it appears to work same as before. Just wondering why I as a novice should have to do that, when its coming pre-built from the professionals who should know better.

It could have been an installation error, but some systems group the two channels together by color, with say both orange slots acting as channel 1 and both purple as channel 2 or having one set of channel one and two being orange and the other set of channel one and two being purple. This means that there can be some real confusion on all sides.

A quick way to tell is to download CPU-Z(link in my sig). To see if your memory is running in dual channel mode:
  • Download Cpu-Z from the link in my sig (the d/l link is at the top left of the resulting page)
  • Extract the zip file to somewhere you will remember
  • Run cpuz.exe
  • It will say loading CPUID
  • A screen will load with a whole bunch of data on it and a series of tabs across the top.
  • Click the Memory tab
  • On the memory tab screen, the value for Channels# should be Dual. If it is Single or something like that, then you just changed your memory to single channel mode. Slowing its performance down.

If you find out it is in single channel mode, then you simply reverse what you just did.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 26 December 2008 - 03:41 PM.

platinum gold

platinum gold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh thanks!

Yeah, it shows as dual channel, excellent!

Cant make head nor tail of the other details mind you, some of the speeds such as NB Frequency 2000mhz and DRAM frequency 266.7 mhz. max bandwidth pc2-6400 (400mhz) hope this sounds good and not poor performance as they are supposed to be DDR2 800 chips.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Oh thanks!

Yeah, it shows as dual channel, excellent!

Can't make head nor tail of the other details mind you, some of the speeds such as NB Frequency 2000mhz and DRAM frequency 266.7 mhz. max bandwidth pc2-6400 (400mhz) hope this sounds good and not poor performance as they are supposed to be DDR2 800 chips.

PC2-6400 is DDR2 800 just to let you know. The rest are just the various frequencies for different places in your computer.