Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acquiring Network Address...Limited Connectivity...

• Please log in to reply

wqcustom

wqcustom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I'm having a frustrating and what seems strange trouble, i'm hoping it's a quick fix, maybe something I've overlooked. I currently am running XP, SP3, and an older Netgear G router. I got a new D-link N router for Christmas. I'm now having some issues on the replacement. I can not get network connectivity. The router install went smooth, but said at the end that it couldn't detect my internet connection. Well, I know my internet works since I was fine before the swap, so it's not my ISP. After a while troubleshooting, I decided to connect directly from my Comcast broadband modem to my PC's lan card. That's where I get the Acquiring Network Address, times out, and then I get the Limited or no Connectivity error. So at this point, I've eliminated the router and any wireless configs as an issue. Ipconfig shows the 164.x.x.x address and no gateway address.
Now here's what's strange to me...if I connect my old Netgear back up I'm back in business. And both the direct connect from the netgear router to the Lan card and wireless connections work. Ipconfig with Netgear shows IP address of 198.168.0.2, 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, 192.168.0.1 gateway and dns. All of my TCP/IP settings are set for automatically finding an ip address, no static or manual ones. But if I remove the Netgear and connect the PC lan card back to the modem directly, it's a no go. I've disabled wireless network connection to remove that from the equation. I've retried everything with different cables, and they aren't an issue. I just don't know why I'm not getting connectivity straight from the modem to the PC, but yet it works with the wireless router. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change? Is there something that I've set that my network will only work with the Netgear device as the gateway or something? I'm at a standstill right now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi wqcustom
Welcome to G2G
This is odd
Is the dlink set to acquire an address from your modem ? I am thinking along the lines that you may have the modem and the dlink both set to dhcp server which would cause confusion.
Plug the computer into the modem and when it fails go into network settings and do a repair on the network card.
What is the model number of the dlink and the modem.
Cheers
Peterm

wqcustom

wqcustom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your fast response. I wanted to let you know I still haven't resolved this, it's realllly inconvenient for me to unhook my pc and move it to where my modem is and direct connect to it. Hence the whole reason of getting a wireless router! But I will as soon as I can retry, hopefully in the next few days. To answer your questions as to the models, the Dlink router is the new wireless N, and it is DIR-615. My modem is an Arris TM502G.

How do I go about finding out if the router is set to be the dhcp server? Is this setting on the 192.168.0.1 setup page? Guess it has to be somewhere on there. I will try doing a repair on the network card when I get it back up there. I don't think this is it, as I have another PC that I can hook up too, and it did the same thing. I was trying to eliminate the new router from being a possibility of the trouble by connecting the modem internet ethernet directly to the ethernet card on the PC. When I do that on either PC, i get Acquiring network address....then the limited network connectivity....but then I can plug the ethernet cable from modem back into the internet ethernet port on the old Netgear router and run another cable from one of the 4 available ports to the same PC ethernet card, and I connect to internet. Weird. No wireless involved here at this point.

lcollins1216

lcollins1216

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I installed a Linksys N Router and it worked successfully for quite some time on my work laptop. I keep receiving "acquiring network address" and can not connect or sometimes it will come back and say Limited or No Connection. My employer will not support wirelss which of course is stupid but why when I am at my boyfriends house do I have no issues aquiring his wirless netowrk? I just turn on my laptop and it automatically connects?