Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cant install xp

• Please log in to reply

mblack3

mblack3

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello
my dad's computer needed to have xp reinstalled due to a virus
i formatted the hard drive using the installer disk - it works up to the point that it reboots after downloading some files from the disc and nothing happens after that, it just wants to boot again from the disc.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you checked your windows XP CD for scratches, or smudges that can cause the system to stop reading the disk? Where is the system stopping? Are you getting to the install window at all? Have you set the BIOS to boot from the CD first?

Look at this website and tell me where your computer stops running at. If you do not even get to any windows at all then you have a problem reading the hard drive and need SATA drivers or you have a hardware connectiion problem.

http://www.petri.co....dows_xp_pro.htm

With more infromation i can decide where to go next to fix this problem.

SRX660

mblack3

mblack3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok i went through the whole disk of formatting and preparing
i got to the point of rebooting and booting from the hard drive (after it downloaded some files) and nothing happens, it just wants to boot from the disc only
hope htat is the info you need

also, the disc worked on a different pc, i tried it on my laptop

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If the CD works in another computer than you have a hardware problem that is most likely a hard drive that has gone bad.The only way to really check is to replace the drive and see if it still doe this. A alternative is to stick the drive in another XP computer and see if you can partition and format the drive thru computer management. If that will not work the drive will need replacing.

SRX660

mblack3

mblack3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks
i tried it on an old 40Gb drive and it worked fine
that is what i was thinking as well, that the drive had gone bad
thanks for your help