Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive Not Working!

• Please log in to reply

ZackyA

ZackyA

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This may be very similar to semiotically's problem, but I thought I'd try anyway...

I had Windows XP installed on my machine, then changed to Vista. While in XP, my CD drive(s) was working perfectly fine, but when I installed Vista, it became unrecognised. I figured there was a problem with the cables so I unplugged the drive. When I rebooted Vista registered the CD drive and the CD inside, but when I clicked on the CD to open it, windows explorer stated that I was trying to reach an area that did not exist. When I refreshed the window the CD drive was gone. Even WMP knew that there was a CD and when I tried to get at it through there it, too, crashed.

I had recently dual-installed XP, and to my surprise the CD drive was fully functional. I then went back to Vista to see if the new installation had changed anything and once again, the drive was recognised but dissapeared when I attempted to reach it. This is extremely frustrating and I have serached all over the internet as to why this keeps happening, but as far as I know I am the only person with this problem. Help would be GREATLY appreciated. Please don't reply with "Vista sucks, that's your problem" :) I love Vista, but this one problem is getting annoying.:)

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

This may be very similar to semiotically's problem, but I thought I'd try anyway...

I had Windows XP installed on my machine, then changed to Vista. While in XP, my CD drive(s) was working perfectly fine, but when I installed Vista, it became unrecognised. I figured there was a problem with the cables so I unplugged the drive. When I rebooted Vista registered the CD drive and the CD inside, but when I clicked on the CD to open it, windows explorer stated that I was trying to reach an area that did not exist. When I refreshed the window the CD drive was gone. Even WMP knew that there was a CD and when I tried to get at it through there it, too, crashed.

I had recently dual-installed XP, and to my surprise the CD drive was fully functional. I then went back to Vista to see if the new installation had changed anything and once again, the drive was recognised but dissapeared when I attempted to reach it. This is extremely frustrating and I have serached all over the internet as to why this keeps happening, but as far as I know I am the only person with this problem. Help would be GREATLY appreciated. Please don't reply with "Vista sucks, that's your problem" :) I love Vista, but this one problem is getting annoying.:)

Try this (I quoted this from hfcg)

This may be caused by a hardware filter that is installed through Windows updates.
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

ZackyA

ZackyA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I tried what you said any my drive still isn't working :) I searched HFCG and got his whole list of things to do, and none of them worked. I guess this is a lost cause :) I'm going to try and put a new drive in...hopefully Vista won't be so dumb about that one :)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Thanks, I tried what you said any my drive still isn't working :) I searched HFCG and got his whole list of things to do, and none of them worked. I guess this is a lost cause :) I'm going to try and put a new drive in...hopefully Vista won't be so dumb about that one :)

What model is your Drive by the way. I'll do some research and see if anything comes up.

Also, good to see someone else who likes vista. I enjoy it myself. I feel it has way too much bad press for how good it is.

ZackyA

ZackyA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

What model is your Drive by the way. I'll do some research and see if anything comes up.

Also, good to see someone else who likes vista. I enjoy it myself. I feel it has way too much bad press for how good it is.

I have an LG GCC - 4521B Combo Drive...but I tried updating the drivers and they wouldn't install :) and Vista isn't recognising the Drive as LG either, it's some wierd coded name (in the Device Manager)...

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I have an LG GCC - 4521B Combo Drive...but I tried updating the drivers and they wouldn't install :) and Vista isn't recognising the Drive as LG either, it's some wierd coded name (in the Device Manager)...

What is the coded name? It will tell me if Vista is just detecting it as the wrong device or what.

ZackyA

ZackyA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks, I tried what you said any my drive still isn't working :yes: I searched HFCG and got his whole list of things to do, and none of them worked. I guess this is a lost cause :) I'm going to try and put a new drive in...hopefully Vista won't be so dumb about that one :beer:

I have an LG GCC - 4521B Combo Drive...but I tried updating the drivers and they wouldn't install :no: and Vista isn't recognising the Drive as LG either, it's some wierd coded name (in the Device Manager)...

What is the coded name? It will tell me if Vista is just detecting it as the wrong device or what.

Windows gives it "WDC WD1200JC-00HBC0 ATA Drive" if you view its properties from "Computer", but Device Manager says it's an HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-85268 ATA Device... OH WAIT. Whaaat. Sorry, I'm finding something out right now haha. I clicked eject from Computer to make sure it was the correct drive, and my second CD tray (which didn't work either) opened. I put my CD in and it's reading it. I am very confused. Apparently "WDC WD1200JC-00HBC0 ATA Drive" is the name of my second drive and "HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-85268 ATA Device" is my primary drive, which is the LG GCC 4521B drive... I am extremely confused at this point :)

EDIT: My bad, WDC WD1200JC-00HBC0 ATA Drive is under the category Disk drives (in Device Manager), not under DVD/CD-ROM Drives as I thought it should have been...if any of that comment makes sense... :) To make it easier, I have two drives (one white and one black, just for easy referance). My white is a DVD combo drive, and my black is just a CD drive. My black drive works fine, apparently, but my white drive (LG GCC 4521B) crashes when I try to use it. The white drive is the second CD drive I've tried in my computer, and neither work. Maybe it's my IDE cables? :) I'll try and hook my white drive up to the IDE cables for the black one...

FOLLOWUP: Nope. The only difference now is that My white drive doesn't even show up in Device Manager :)...Man this is getting annoying, considering I've been trying to fix this problem for a year now...

Edited by ZackyA, 28 December 2008 - 10:49 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Thanks, I tried what you said any my drive still isn't working :no: I searched HFCG and got his whole list of things to do, and none of them worked. I guess this is a lost cause :) I'm going to try and put a new drive in...hopefully Vista won't be so dumb about that one :yes:

I have an LG GCC - 4521B Combo Drive...but I tried updating the drivers and they wouldn't install :no: and Vista isn't recognising the Drive as LG either, it's some wierd coded name (in the Device Manager)...

Windows gives it "WDC WD1200JC-00HBC0 ATA Drive" if you view its properties from "Computer", but Device Manager says it's an HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-85268 ATA Device... OH WAIT. Whaaat. Sorry, I'm finding something out right now haha. I clicked eject from Computer to make sure it was the correct drive, and my second CD tray (which didn't work either) opened. I put my CD in and it's reading it. I am very confused. Apparently "WDC WD1200JC-00HBC0 ATA Drive" is the name of my second drive and "HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-85268 ATA Device" is my primary drive, which is the LG GCC 4521B drive... I am extremely confused at this point :)

EDIT: My bad, WDC WD1200JC-00HBC0 ATA Drive is under the category Disk drives (in Device Manager), not under DVD/CD-ROM Drives as I thought it should have been...if any of that comment makes sense... :beer: To make it easier, I have two drives (one white and one black, just for easy referance). My white is a DVD combo drive, and my black is just a CD drive. My black drive works fine, apparently, but my white drive (LG GCC 4521B) crashes when I try to use it. The white drive is the second CD drive I've tried in my computer, and neither work. Maybe it's my IDE cables? :) I'll try and hook my white drive up to the IDE cables for the black one...

FOLLOWUP: Nope. The only difference now is that My white drive doesn't even show up in Device Manager :)...Man this is getting annoying, considering I've been trying to fix this problem for a year now...

Wow, :) This is quite confusing. I hope someone who is more knowledgeable chime in here.