Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are DECT Phones Bad To Use When You Have A High Speed DSL Modem?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hi,

We just got some "General Electric" [brand] DECT phones as a gift this Christmas. It comes with one main phone which plugs into the phone line, and an ac cord for the main base which plugs into the electrical wall outlet. It also comes with another phone and base which only plugs into the electrical wall outlet [ie: second phone is somewhat of an extension to the main base and doesn't plug into a phone line. I believe they're 1.9Ghz phones...

My question is are DECT phones bad to use when you have a high speed DSL modem? Or is it just like using my normal old 1990's style cordless phone?

I don't know much about the new DECT technology and wonder if it causes my net to slow down, interference, or any bad problems which would affect my high speed DSL modem which obviously uses a phone line.

Posted Image

Source:
http://www.home-elec...p;idproduct=155

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DECT cordless telephones may interfere with wireless internet access but they're no different to any other telephone solution in terms of internet slow-down. You have a twin base solution which basically means the one that isn't connected to the phone line is connected wirelessly to the base. It's just like your mobile phone isn't physically connected to the mast but it still rings if somebody calls.

Internet slow-down over the phone line is usually caused because the filter goes faulty, or there's too much connected to the phone line or the provider is the problem, more than anything else.

Edited by Neil Jones, 27 December 2008 - 04:25 AM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thanks for your help Neil... I understand.