Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk read error

• Please log in to reply

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I brought a brand new pc everything was fine until yesterday. On the intial boot up I get "disk read error". I then press ctrl+alt+delete. It reboots again, perfectly no problems. I have no problems when I'm playing games, using the internet etc and it shuts down fine.

The only problem is when you first turn on the pc and I get "disk read error".

Can someone help me please?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most disk read errors are due to corrupt MBR or a bad sector!

FIXING the MBR.
Boot from the windows XP CD, press the "R" key in the setup in order to start the restoration console. Select your windows XP installation from the list, and enter the administrator password. If you never entered any password and do not have more than 1 user on the computer, just hit enter.
Enter the command: "FIXMBR" (without the quotes) at the input prompt and confirm the next question with a "Y" (without the quotes). Use exit to restore the computer.

A word of caution.. sometimes there is no adminsitrator password entered (by you) but the program insists on a password.

here's the knowledge base article from Microsoft that shows how to fix the password problem in XP.

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;308402

If you have a bad sector on the hard drive and fixing the MBR did not fix your problem then you will need to use a repair software from the maker of your hard drive to fix the bad sectors. You WILL need to reinstall Windows XP back onto the drive to do this. So save any data you want to keep, and make sure you write down all the hardware drivers names and versions in the device manager so you can find the drivers again on the internet.

If this does not fix your problem then your hard drive is slowly going bad and losing sectors. It will fail completely at some time in the near future.

The other thing that may have happened is that you have a virus or spyware on the computer that is causing the problem. Check in the Spyware forum to make sure you are clean.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 27 December 2008 - 11:00 AM.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thanks a lot mate. I'll try that out later.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

FIXING the MBR.
Boot from the windows XP CD, press the "R" key in the setup in order to start the restoration console. Select your windows XP installation from the list, and enter the administrator password. If you never entered any password and do not have more than 1 user on the computer, just hit enter.
Enter the command: "FIXMBR" (without the quotes) at the input prompt and confirm the next question with a "Y" (without the quotes). Use exit to restore the computer

Thanks a lot mate. That worked a treat.