Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loosing DLL files, System Restore gone, Trojan.vundo issue

• Please log in to reply

JON B

JON B

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
:)

HELP!!!! Trying to finish the clean up and constantly losing content. I have lost everything in device manager, its empty, no network connections showing or connecting, computer would not recognize any hardware, and system restore does not work!! What the...???? :) I am at a loss on what to do next. We are 1100 miles apart and he is not computer savy at all...I'm just trying to help a friend but this issue has been consuming my family time with my kids, wife, etc. for the last week.

Rorschach112 has released me from the Malware forum and sent me over here to get my extended issues finished up. Thanks for your help. :)

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Try services via control panel. Turn on Plug and Play and make sure it is set to auto start.
Cheers
Peterm
PS under admin tools

Edited by peterm, 27 December 2008 - 03:30 PM.

JON B

JON B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Peterm, Thanks for the fast reply. I have enabled the Plug and Play and it did help. I found another post that helped me get all of the proper services running again but I have lost some DLL files missing and wanted to restore those as well. Also, Malwarebytes says that I still have vundo as one of the registry keys but won't remove after reboot. I want to get this computer clean and then teach him how not to get infected in the future. Thanks!! :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Thats a problem with MBAM, its an orphaned entry nothing to worry about

JON B

JON B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks Rorschach112, I appreciate the explanation and all of your help with the HJT logs. You have been a great help!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What are the dll's missing

JON B

JON B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Peterm, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have been out of town. Ok, the only thing that I can run to refresh my memory is the SFC scanner and it says to enter the CD in the disc drive but it is here with me.

I have been diagnosing this computer remotely and that's the only thing I can think of to run to find out what DLL files are missing. I can snail mail him my OEM copies of MCE but was hoping that I could transfer them to him

remotely. Any suggestions? BTW, thanks for your time and patience!! :) :)

JON B

JON B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
The SFC scanner just finished up and I know this probably won't help, but it wanted to reinstall 7 files from the start and through out the scan time. Then, right at the last second, it asks me to insert the disc 9 more times.

Would it be safe to say that I have approx. 16 files to be updated/reinstalled?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry for the delay
I churned isp and have been off the air
Let it use the disc as much as it likes. It will only repace what is needed.
Cheers
Peterm

JON B

JON B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Is it possible to do that over a remote connection with the file transfer option?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
To be honest I have never tried .
I do not think it would work as sfc checks the cd player . However it might let you point back as it does have a browse option which lets you point to where the file is :).

If your friend sets up remote desktop and tells it to install your drives on startup that might work.
I am on hols so can't experiment.
When I have played with remote desktop it gave me the option to import my home drives to my work computer and I could then copy files.
The thing you have to watch is once he logs on via remote desktop you are logged out and can't see what he is doing.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 31 December 2008 - 12:20 AM.

JON B

JON B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, what is the best and fastest way to get these put back on? Is there a tool we can use or anything else that I don't know about that you can direct me to? I am hesitant to send this disc off because I don't want to pay an arm and a leg just to send them to him, but I'm sure that is our only remedy. :)

JON B

JON B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, we got all of the issues done with the DLL files. Thanks so much for your help!! BTW, are there any suggestions you can give me to get the old start up programs and and crap programs off to get it clean up so it will pick up speed and go faster? Once again, thank you for the great help!! :)