Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build will not boot correctly

• Please log in to reply

arpalermo

arpalermo

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
System specs:

-Athlon X2 5600+
-MSI ms-7280
-2x gb corsair ram
-radeon x1950

I took all of these parts out of different systems, and they were all working fine. At first the computer wouldnt go past the boot screen before shutting down. I moved the cmos jumper around and took out the cmos battery for a while, but that didnt work. I then reinstalled the heatsink that solved that problem, and i was able to install windows and ubuntu.

It wouldnt save any of the bios settings, so i changed the cmos battery and that worked

Now when i boot up the computer, it starts to go into windows and restarts. After doing this a few times it will go into windows and everything is fine (except for once when it just restarted as soon as it got to the desktop) How do i fix this!

Also, i never get the screen asking me if i want to go into xp or ubuntu., even though i know ubuntu works because i worked fine when i installed it.

When it first boots up it says "cmos checksum bad." Is this why it has to restart a bunch of times before going into windows?

Advertisements

arpalermo

arpalermo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Anyone have any idea whats wrong????????????

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello arpalermo...

The "cmos checksum bad" error is usually the result of a weak or dead cmos battery. Did you replace the old one with a new one or another old one?

You might also try setting the date and time in the BIOS settings as having incorrect values there can also cause the problem.

Reinstalling Ubuntu should add the proper entries to the bootloader. I'm not really familiar enough with Ubuntu to offer more advice than that.

wannabe1

arpalermo

arpalermo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I replaced it with an old cmos battery that worked fine in its original motherboard.

I moved the cmos jumper around today and now it says:

cmos settings wrong
cmos date/time not set

If i change the date and time it doesnt save them and next time it boots it gives the same error.

Also, i dont know if this is related but sometimes when its going into windows it says:

"Windows NT has found only 127k of low memory. 512k of low memory is required to run windows NT. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer"

And it just hangs there. Whys it saying this?!! I have XP installed not NT. And what is low memory?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Windows XP is an NT based platform.

Sounds to me like you need a new CMOS battery. The one you have installed is not maintaining the BIOS settings.