Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop Background is Fixed (Not Spyware)

• Please log in to reply

Blinky

Blinky

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
One of my clients was using corel draw with an image, and after doing some things he can't exactly remember, he made the image he was working on the windows background.

Having him go in the windows desktop properties, Themes and Desktop both show the Windows Bliss Field and Sky background, and no mention of this image he was toying with in Corel at the time.

His normal desktop icons are overtop the image, so it must be a background. I think this system has an nvidia video card..Is it possible it has its own desktop background settings settable(?) outside of windows? I don't think so, but i've never actually cared to look.

I suppose it could be spyware related, but usually that sorta stuff doesn't pick corel files of choice :tazz:

I bet this file is stored somewhere. A search and delete you think??

Thanks!
jody

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Was any background selected in the Display Properties window under the Background tab? Selecting none and clicking Apply or OK button should have dropped the background image out. But if one is selected, you should be able to get the name of the image file being used as a background from the list of image options you have to choose from for backgrounds.

If you know what the extension the image file was saved in, you could do a search of the HD to see what you find. Usually the Wallpaper files are in the C:\WINDOWS directory and you may find it there. I don't use Win XP and may be totally wrong here.

Ron

Blinky

Blinky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is possible the erroneous image was highlighted, but he said that the Bliss screen was highlighted, and i had him click on None and a few options followed by apply.
It is of course possible he didn't do it right, but the directions are pretty clearcut.

I may get him to bring it in if its bothering him. This seems really weird.

Thanks,
jody

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
he could have accidentally renamed the image as bliss...

what happens if he choosese something other than bliss?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

he could have accidentally renamed the image as bliss...

what happens if he choosese something other than bliss?

View Post

That's what I was wondering, but choosing None should have dropped the background off the Desktop once he clicked Apply or OK. Plus, searching for the *.extension used would have found all files and surely by selecting View>Details he ought to be able to find it within a range by date that he was using the PC when this happened.

You just can never tell sometimes. :tazz:

R.

Blinky

Blinky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes,
I tried to explain how to change the image over the phone, and it's nearly impossible to go wrong.
"Select an image from the list and click apply. Try it with a few different images"

It is possible he's doing it wrong though, so i'll tell him to bring it in.
If i find out any more about this, i'll post a reply here.

Perhaps if he can remember what he did with corel, he can do it again this time using a more background friendly image :tazz:

blinky

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Know your problem trying to fix a problem over the phone. Kinda like this forum, trying to fix problems by posts. ;)

I still think it can be done if you do a "Save as" in Corel and see what the default extension is used and do a HD search for all files with this extension. But then, the easiest thing is that Windows keeps the Desktop images in its own little folder. Think I gave path, but its easily found.

You had the right idea the first time...a search and delete. :tazz:

At any rate, good luck.

Ron