Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows wont load, boot disk wont work, cant access safe mode!

• Please log in to reply

Beast5203

Beast5203

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a eMachines T2862 and have tried to contact there Tech Support but they wont help cause Im out of warrenty.

When I start my computer I cant get passed the windows screen. It's tries to load and

stops.

I tried booting into safe mode, but it stops again in the same place.

I tried to put my windows cd in to recover the console, but it goes to a black screen has

me press any key, and once i do that it goes to the windows startup screen again. NOT the

setup screen so that I can reinstall my windows.

I tried to change my boot sequence so that the CD rom would be 1st and then restarted to

put in boot disk.This did nothing, I had the same problem. It's as if my cd rom isnt

reading the disk at all. I can hear it , but nothing occurs, it's like the disk just stays

in place.

I have not changed or updated any hardware. The last thing I did before I did a normal

restart was update windows to Service pack 2, then restarted like it asked me to.

The bootdisk works, I tried it on my friends computer. butI find it strange that I cant

even get into safe mode.

I also tried to press F8 and went to last known good configuration , but it did

nothing...literally nothing happened.

Is there a way to access the dos prompt from the F2 setup menu?

I am at a loss as to what to do, I 'd appreciate any advice or help!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Beast5203
Welcome to G2G
I have read the specs on your machine and it does not list the video card as being intergrated on the motherboard.
Do you feel ok about taking your computer case off ?
If yes then unscrew the casing and have a look if the video card is an add on card.
If it is an add on card then unscrew the holding screw and remove the card. Use a pencil rubber to clean along the gold contacts. If at all possible replace the card into another slot (it will be obvious if the slots are the same)
then try to power on the computer.
BEFORE TOUCHING THE VIDEO CARD MAKE SURE YOU TOUCH SOME METAL 1ST TO EARTH YOURSELF & DISCHARGE ANY STATIC.

When you press F8 at start up there should be an option for command prompt. Is that in the list ?
Cheers
Peterm