Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Thinkpad X40 XP blue screen - can't recover

• Please log in to reply

rlocke

rlocke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an IBM X40 Thinkpad, a mini-notebook that has no CD drive. After a windows auto-update, it rebooted to a blue screen and has died. I booted into the IBM Rescue/Recovery partition, and managed to copy the data of C: and D: to a network-attached MyBook World (which I bought just for this recovery). After reinstalling Windows, none of my devices are recognised so the system is u/s.

The IBM rescue/recovery program has an in-built ethernet driver and a copy of Opera to allow internet access - but if I try to download new drivers from Lenovo they download to the system partition which has NO SPACE. So I am completely stuck...

As I have no CD drive, there is no way to get new drivers onto the PC other than over the internet - but I need somehow to get an ethernet driver onto the system to access the internet so there seems to be NO WAY FORWARD at all.

Any one have any idea how to proceed ?? I have a complete copy of the X40 on the MyBook, but just cannot see how I can ever get that copied back to the X40. What is perverse, is the the rescue/recovery allows you to BACKUP to a network drive, but NOT TO RESTORE.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. TIA

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

The IBM rescue/recovery program has an in-built ethernet driver and a copy of Opera to allow internet access

Strange, this is the first time I've ever heard of Opera being on the recovery partition... then again, I don't own an X40.

You may have better luck working this out at the Thinkpad forums. Link is in my signature.

craxx_123

craxx_123

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an IBM X40 Thinkpad, a mini-notebook that has no CD drive. After a windows auto-update, it rebooted to a blue screen and has died. I booted into the IBM Rescue/Recovery partition, and managed to copy the data of C: and D: to a network-attached MyBook World (which I bought just for this recovery). After reinstalling Windows, none of my devices are recognised so the system is u/s.

The IBM rescue/recovery program has an in-built ethernet driver and a copy of Opera to allow internet access - but if I try to download new drivers from Lenovo they download to the system partition which has NO SPACE. So I am completely stuck...

As I have no CD drive, there is no way to get new drivers onto the PC other than over the internet - but I need somehow to get an ethernet driver onto the system to access the internet so there seems to be NO WAY FORWARD at all.

Any one have any idea how to proceed ?? I have a complete copy of the X40 on the MyBook, but just cannot see how I can ever get that copied back to the X40. What is perverse, is the the rescue/recovery allows you to BACKUP to a network drive, but NOT TO RESTORE.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. TIA

Howdy,

Since you did a back up on your external drive, can you get to the external drive via USB? Also this machine has a slot of a SD card. You could try to get the drivers downloaded to the sd card or to an external USB drive (borrow from a friend).

Wess246

Wess246

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I've been reading this thread because I have the same problem!

When I try to back up my files via usb (to my external hard drive), the "wizard" is blank.
There are radio buttons to choose but you dont know what you are choosing.

I left my external cd writer overseas...

Any info?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You should really start your own thread. People tend not to read old threads unless they have to. The only reason I read this is because I responded to it at least once. Other than that, I would never have looked at it again to see your comments.

Please start your own thread.