Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop No Longer Sleeping or Hibernating, may have culprit

• Please log in to reply

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm not sure which section this is most appropriate in, so I'll just place it here for now.

I believe this started about three weeks ago, but I'm not certain because I got a desktop back in October and have been using my laptop infrequently since. No one else uses this laptop.

My graphics card is a motherboard-integrated AMD/ATI Radeon Xpress 1150. My Dell Inspiron 1501 has a few ways to put itself to sleep. You can set it to sleep by pressing the power button on the physical case, the power button on the screen, the sleep button on the keyboard or the screen, and when you close the lid. You can also set it to go to sleep after a set period of being idle. I have tried all these methods, on battery and plugged in, on every default power management setting, as well as my own custom configuration. I have also attempted to hibernate it using similar methods. What happens is that the screen will go black, but the hard drive will still be hammering and the power button will not pulse to show the laptop is asleep. I press a button, the laptop emits a PC speaker beep, and I get to a locked screen. Disabling the locked screen upon wakeup makes it come back to desktop instead.

What I've done: I knew the card wasn't updated because I had to reformat the laptop recently; it still had its drivers from '07, so I uninstalled the old drivers, as well as Catalyst Control Center and the Catalyst install manager and installed the latest display driver from December of '08 on the website--just the display driver and not Catalyst as I've had problems with Catalyst before. I scanned the computer with Symantec AV, Malware Bytes, and Windows Defender, as well as cleaned my registry with CCleaner. My problem still persists. I switched into Ubuntu and scanned the entire C drive with ClamAV and got this output:

Found 7 possible viruses (245315 files scanned).

/sys/slab/ 0000320/slab_size
/windows/Program Files/Adobe/Acro... Files number limit exceeded
/windows/Users/Andrea/Documents/M... Files number limit exceeded
/windows/hiberfil.sys Trojan.URLspoof.gen.2
/windows/Program Files/Microsoft ... Files number limit exceeded
/var/log/gdm/ 20.log.1
/var/lib/ucf/cache/ etc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the various Linux directories found are simply security holes found in the ext3 file system. The entry I'm focusing on is at /windows/hiberfil.sys.
I have not been able to find much information on the Trojan.URLspoof.gen.2 trojan, and because my Symantec AV didn't catch it, I worry it may be a false positive. However, if it is in fact a trojan, it may be the culprit behind my laptop's inability to sleep and I may be activating the virus every time I try to make my laptop sleep. Does anyone know if this is an actual trojan and possibly how to get rid of it?

Edited by silent_n0va, 27 December 2008 - 07:41 PM.

Advertisements

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I'm not sure which section this is most appropriate in, so I'll just place it here for now.

I believe this started about three weeks ago, but I'm not certain because I got a desktop back in October and have been using my laptop infrequently since. No one else uses this laptop.

My graphics card is a motherboard-integrated AMD/ATI Radeon Xpress 1150. My Dell Inspiron 1501 has a few ways to put itself to sleep. You can set it to sleep by pressing the power button on the physical case, the power button on the screen, the sleep button on the keyboard or the screen, and when you close the lid. You can also set it to go to sleep after a set period of being idle. I have tried all these methods, on battery and plugged in, on every default power management setting, as well as my own custom configuration. I have also attempted to hibernate it using similar methods. What happens is that the screen will go black, but the hard drive will still be hammering and the power button will not pulse to show the laptop is asleep. I press a button, the laptop emits a PC speaker beep, and I get to a locked screen. Disabling the locked screen upon wakeup makes it come back to desktop instead.

What I've done: I knew the card wasn't updated because I had to reformat the laptop recently; it still had its drivers from '07, so I uninstalled the old drivers, as well as Catalyst Control Center and the Catalyst install manager and installed the latest display driver from December of '08 on the website--just the display driver and not Catalyst as I've had problems with Catalyst before. I scanned the computer with Symantec AV, Malware Bytes, and Windows Defender, as well as cleaned my registry with CCleaner. My problem still persists. I switched into Ubuntu and scanned the entire C drive with ClamAV and got this output:

Found 7 possible viruses (245315 files scanned).

/sys/slab/ 0000320/slab_size
/windows/Program Files/Adobe/Acro... Files number limit exceeded
/windows/Users/Andrea/Documents/M... Files number limit exceeded
/windows/hiberfil.sys Trojan.URLspoof.gen.2
/windows/Program Files/Microsoft ... Files number limit exceeded
/var/log/gdm/ 20.log.1
/var/lib/ucf/cache/ etc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the various Linux directories found are simply security holes found in the ext3 file system. The entry I'm focusing on is at /windows/hiberfil.sys.
I have not been able to find much information on the Trojan.URLspoof.gen.2 trojan, and because my Symantec AV didn't catch it, I worry it may be a false positive. However, if it is in fact a trojan, it may be the culprit behind my laptop's inability to sleep and I may be activating the virus every time I try to make my laptop sleep. Does anyone know if this is an actual trojan and possibly how to get rid of it?

I believe I've resolved the problem. Here's what I did:

I first disabled hibernation by going into the command line as admin and typing powercfg -h off. This turned off my hibernation feature and, thus, deleted the potentially corrupt hiberfil.sys file. I typed powercfg -h on to reenable hibernation, tried the sleep function, and my laptop slept like a baby. =)

Jim1556

Jim1556

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm more of an average home user, so editing registrys or command lines are mostly beyond me...

My laptop was doing the same, didn't know how to scan for the trojan thing but Norton said all was well.

Tried the Hibernate off/on thing and all is normal again so it may have been that.

But it works now!

So, just a big thank you cos it was doin my head in!

Jim.