Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Error 42126 Archive Error

• Please log in to reply

MsAnn

MsAnn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
While running a scheduled boot scan using Avast!, an error showed up. It is as follows:

System Volume information\_Restore {BFAA7a9B-281F-45B6-9E39-9D4BB578C2A4}\ RP271\ S0036638.AC1\ V.992 Error 42126 {RAR Archive is currupt}

How do I fix this issue? Additionally, my computer gets slow in time. This used to not happen in the past. I can restart my computer and it seems to return to normal. It then gets so slow that a window pops up and says that the virtual memory is getting low and that it is trying to increase the memory and during this time some programs with either be unaccessible or won't respond. This used to not ever happen. I would only have one or two things running and the computer starts slowing down. It then begins to take three minutes for a webpage to be found.

How do I fix that issue? I have Avast! installed as my antivirus program. I have Windows XP Media Center.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Ms Ann

HiJackThis Log is as follows:

Advertisement

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi MsAnn
Welcome to G2G
Do you archive your emails ? This error message points to avast having trouble opening the file to scan it.
In my opion this is not much to worry about. Files do get corrupted. However if you do have emails you have archived because you need to have them then it is best you back them up.
Did you have Nortons anti virus ? I noticed in your log you have some files from Symantec listed.
These normally point to Nortons anti virus. If you did have Nortons anti virus how did you uninstall it before installing
Avast ? You should not have 2 anti virus programs running on a computer.
Cheers
Peterm

MsAnn

MsAnn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi PeterM,

I thought I uninstalled Nortons before installing Avast. I guess I didn't do a complete uninstall. How do I completely get rid of left over files? Also how can I fix the currupted issue? Lastly, how can I get my computer to move faster? If I am working on a program for a while. the computer gets slow and I cant do anything on the internet without retrying multiple times. I end up having to reboot. It then go faster but it is an endless cycle.

MsAnn

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi MsAnn
Please go to this link and download the removal tool.
click on me
This may be enough to get you back running again. If not I'm affarid it's 1 step at a time
Cheers
Peterm

MsAnn

MsAnn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello PeterM,

I have run the program and it looks like I have gotten rid of the remnents of Norton Antivirus. How can I get rid of the corrupted file or item? How can I make my system go a lil faster? I am scared to delete programs I am not using cause I am not sure what I need. I know which programs I use alot. There were some that was installed on my computer when I bought it from the store. I am including a new HiJackThis scan.

MsAnn

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi MsAnn
No need to post any hijack logs - they are for the malware team most of the time. We can't comment on what to remove Only malware staff can. We do use them once in a blue moon to find programs - mainly to look for more then 1 anti virus.
I notice you are running a reg cleaner, Why ?
In my sig there is a link to code stuff starter please download and run.
Can you then give me a screenshot. - Press print screen then open paint and paste. Save the file and upload.
Did the slow down start after you updated to service pack 3 ?
Cheers
Peterm

MsAnn

MsAnn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Peterm,

Im not sure when th service pack 3 was downloaded. I did even know the reg cleaner was there. I hit the link you told me to hit and it says that page doesnt exist.

MsAnn

Broni

Broni

Krakůw my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

System Volume information\_Restore

This is one of your restore points, so as peterm said, nothing to worry about, unless it's your only restore point available.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi MsAnn
Please try this link
click on me
Cheers
Peterm

MsAnn

MsAnn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
PeterM,

I have attached the screen shot as you requested. My computer now is increasingly having issues talking about its getting low on vertual memory and eventually everything locks up and I have to reboot to get things going again. Also, it seems that while on the internet, I keep having the issue of it taking a while to look for a page. The page won't come up the first or second time. I have to either hit refresh or hit the back button and request the page again. It takes longer than usual to surf pages now. It used to not be that way. It thinks awhile before the page comes up or it comes back as an error.

Thanks again for helping me.

MsAnn

Here is the attachment:

Starter_Screen_Print.JPG

Edited by MsAnn, 05 January 2009 - 09:52 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi MsAnn
Please start code stuff starter and untick (this will ask to disable - say yes)
I wont name erveything I will just number them Starting wih adobe = No.1 & Yahoo = No. 19
please untick 1. 6, 8, 12, 15, 16,.
Do you have any Fuji products eg cameras IF not then untick regshave (No.14).

Please open my computer and right on drive C go to properties and left click
How big is drive C and how much free space is left.
Please read rule 2 in my sig.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 06 January 2009 - 06:05 AM.

MsAnn

MsAnn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
PeterM,

My computer is still slow as molasess! *laughing* My hard drive is 44 gig capacity. It has 15.3 gigs available. Still, when trying to surf the internt, the pages are slow to load if they actally load. The page will come as an error page saying either I'm not connected to th internet or the page is having a problem, both which are untrue. If I refresh once or twice it will eventually load. When opening other programs such as word or excell, it takes forever like it does when surfing the net....*frowning* I am at a complete loss.

MsAnn

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi MsAnn
Did you disable the programs I advised ?
If yes and it is still slow then the next step is for you to post a Hijack log in malware to see if it is clean.
I am not allowed to comment on Hijack logs. The reason I am taking this path is if something is wrong
We will just go in circles.
While waiting for the malware team Please defrag your hard drive.
Click on start>all programs>accessories>system tools.
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisement