Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need New Anti-virus

• Please log in to reply

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello my subscription of Norton 360 is about to run out. Looking for a new Anti-virus that is as good if not better. Could use some feed back. I don't want something that is hard to use must have everything that Norton 360 has.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Read the Sticky Threads please

http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello shih-tzucrazy1...

That's a good place to look if you are looking for free protection applications. If, however, you are looking for something a little more "full featured", I usually recommend Eset Smart Security. It IS a premium application (must be purchased), but comes with Nod32 Antivirus, Anti-spam, Anti-spyware, and a firewall. It's a nearly "install it and forget it" application and offers very good protection with a minimum system footprint.

wannabe1

adidasguy

adidasguy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I totally agree with wannabe1....I had some major issues trying to find a good anti virus product that was easy to install and wouldn't slow my computer down; I had purchased subscriptions to mcafee and bitdefender recently and tried them both and had lots of problems, mainly slowing down my system and using up too much memory then I read this thread and since I had already been able to fix another windows issue by reading wannabe1's post, I took his recommendation to you on NOD32 and gave it a try and love it so far; the best part about NOD32 is that they are one of the few that will let you download and try their product free for 30 days so you have nothing to lose. NOD32 installed really fast on both my desktop and laptop computers; it does not slow down my system any, it only uses 21mb of hard drive space and it has one of the smallest footprints of all anti virus products on the market....I also read how well NOD32 performed in catching viruses compared to other well known anti virus products such as mcafee, norton, kaspersky, etc and it was by far the best at catching viruses "in the wild".........NOD32 updates itself and all you will ever see is a small balloon pop up whenever the update is finished so its virtually quiet and basically takes care of itself; another thing I am impressed with is that while you are doing a scan it doesn't slow your computer down and you are able to keep doing other tasks, that was almost impossible with mcafee and bitdefender. NOD32 is about $10 more for a single computer license than mcafee and bitdefender but it is well worth it and whenever you renew it gets cheaper than the initial price you pay for your subscription.....NOD32 also comes with great technical support and has a great knowledge base that bascially will answer any issue you have and you can view that as a pdf file and save it to your computer for future reference.............one last thing, I also used AVG free edition and I have to say I did find it to be a good product, however, avg free edition will only protect you for basic internet surfing; if you chat on messengers, do a lot of downloads, etc you really need a more comprehensive anti virus product such as NOD32.......but don't take my word for it just do some reasearh on consumer reviews of NOD32 and you will see its much more positive than bad.....I am really glad I found this thread last week and read wannabe1's reply and gave NOD32 a try......I ended up cancelling my subscription with mcafee for a full refund and I am stuck with bitdefender for another year but won't be using it.....i wish i had discovered NOD32 a few months ago but we live and we learn but give NOD32 a free try and see how you like it; I think its a great anti virus product.......

tigerspeed

tigerspeed

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
spybot search and destroy has worked awsome for me it doesent slow your computer down and its got alot of crap on my computer and its free i use it on all my computers

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Spybot is not an antivirus, it is antispyware. Though I love its immunization feature.