Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

size matters?

• Please log in to reply

randal143

randal143

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, has a 20 gig hard drive really become to small for a home computer? I haveWindows XP, Office student and teacher, itunes and zune. I have pretty much deleted everything else. My question is with java and all the various updates does this sound right or do i have something hiding in the background taking up space possibly?
Thanks

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
With today's requirements, size matters both in hard drive and RAM. You will need Java and should keep this updated. Hard drives are sooooo cheap nowadays that you should upgrade to a larger one. RAM, too. Might check out http://NewEgg.com/ for great sales. I've signed up for their newsletter and they have a "Shocker Deal" every day.

Minimum requirements as stated by M$ is for the OS ONLY! Really doesn't include all the other software it is running and the bells and whistles you add: System requirements for Windows XP operating systems