Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Using XP Home SP3

I left ADAWARE scanning my PC this morning and when I returned to it later there was a blue screen message saying Windows had been shut down to prevent damage to the computer. It mentioned a file name which I failed to take note of.
I turned the PC off by holding down the power button and then turned on again.
I then got a message saying Windows could not start because WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM was either corrupt or missing. I cannot get anywhere by starting up and pressing F8, the message just appears as before. I have borrowed a genuine Windows XP Pro CD and I get the message Press any key to boot from CD, but when I do press a key there is no response and the message appears as before.
I am using a wireless keyboard.

Can anyone help?