Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent freeze ups

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've submitted other similar threads to other tech sites such as this. This problem is becoming a real pain because no one seems to have the answer. After booting up my computer, I will begin to experience short "freeze ups" where my sound, keyboard, mouse, and internet stop working. Seconds later they will become operable again but after about 15-30 minutes of having the computer on, the freeze ups become more frequent and I am forced to restart. Initially I thought the problem was that my keyboard and mouse were going bad but recently bought a new set and the problem persists. It can't just be my USB ports because my internet cuts out as does my audio. This lead me to believe something was wrong with my motherboard. I just bought a new setup so I'll be upset if it's faulty, especially since I bought my motherboard open box and I can no longer return it. Everything else with the motherboard seems to be in working order. With the other sites I've posted this problem at, they've told me to install drivers. Being open box, my motherboard didn't come with any installation software. I was then forced to go the manufacturer's site and then go to the download section for my motherboard. There I chose to install the latest chipset for my operating system (windows xp media center). I installed that and restarted. The problem wasn't resolved. They then vaguely told me to download "everything", "usb, lan, chipset, ect.". I reluctantly went down the list and downloaded and installed most of what seemed important from that site. As I expected, nothing really changed. Now I'm stuck and really unsure of what to do. Any suggestions?

EDIT: If this isn't the proper place for the thread, please move it. Thank you.

Edited by MrSmartAlec, 28 December 2008 - 11:31 PM.

Advertisements