Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent freeze ups

• Please log in to reply

wwarrior

wwarrior

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

That's the one, unfortunately.

Darn

Ok - Then it sounds like it needs a bit of work to determine what the problem isn't then. We can do that after.

Firstly, maybe post a Hijackthis logfile to rule out software issues. Again, I will ask you to repost it in the malware section for the malware guys to look at if I see some malware there.

Hijackthis is a program that shows what programs are running / starting on your machine at boot time. You can download it Here.

Run it, then post it's results here. Also, confirm with your friend if they did reset/default the CMOS or merely just installed the software for you after building it. Perhaps inquire if it is safe to reset it again - and make sure your friend is nearby in case you run into any strife. Resetting the CMOS may cause the machine to boot from the wrong drive or whatever. It is almost always safe to do this (as all new machines come with a factory fresh CMOS) but please check first.

If I don't spot anything in the Hijackthis logfile that is obvious, then we will need to use a different method for determining what the fault is.

All computer problems have a solution - I have just done the obvious things first off.

I will check if there is a BIOS fix for that board as well.

EG: From Asus Web site - Updated BIOS version, blah, blah - Fixes: Intermittent freeze ups when using Windows MCE

That would be nice to find.

Rog ..
Edit -Is your web browser running every time it freezes, or it it really random ?

Edited by wwarrior, 30 December 2008 - 09:07 PM.

Advertisements

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok I downloaded that program, installed it, then ran the double scan thing. It then gave me a long list in the form of a notepad doc. Is this what you want me to copy/paste into a thread HERE, or in this malware section I'm assuming is just another part of gotogeeks forums?

One other thing maybe I should mention is that when my friend put all of my hardware into the rig, there was no software to install. He simply put it in and booted it up. I did later (when I got these problems) install the chipset for my motherboard from Asus's homepage. Other than that, I don't believe anything else has been installed software wise regarding my motherboard.

wwarrior

wwarrior

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Ok I downloaded that program, installed it, then ran the double scan thing. It then gave me a long list in the form of a notepad doc. Is this what you want me to copy/paste into a thread HERE, or in this malware section I'm assuming is just another part of gotogeeks forums?

One other thing maybe I should mention is that when my friend put all of my hardware into the rig, there was no software to install. He simply put it in and booted it up. I did later (when I got these problems) install the chipset for my motherboard from Asus's homepage. Other than that, I don't believe anything else has been installed software wise regarding my motherboard.

Hi

Yes - post the entire log in here. I mention that it will need to be moved to the HJT / malware section if I locate any malware as the rules of this forum state that only they can diagnose HJT logs for Malware.

Also, the Asus BIOS updates for your board list a few things, but nothing about freezes.

EG: "Enhance the compatibility with certain memory."

If the machine was here in front of me, I would pull out all but one stick of ram in it (the 4th stick is doing very little for you as it is anyway.) Only do this if you comfortable with removing memory sticks.

I would also leave the side of the case off whilst diagnosing any faults like this.

Reading your last comment then, this machine has done this since you got it and you have never seen it perform properly then ?

How long have you had it for ? And you installed the software fresh on it and it virtually began freezing 'out of the box ' ?

There are no conflicts in device manager then, right ?

And with no sound devices, it still intermittently freezes/hesitates ?

wwarrior

wwarrior

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

2. When it does freeze, it's only for about a second. It does sometimes seem to have a pattern where it will freeze, unfreeze, wait a couple seconds, freeze and then unfreeze all in about 10 seconds.

Can you notice if your Hard disk LED is on at this time, (Or Flashing Heavily) at the exact moment it freezes ?

MrSmartAlec

MrSmartAlec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I only have 2 sticks of RAM, 2gb each.

I've had my new computer for a few weeks now and I'm pretty sure it's been doing this the entire time, I just don't remember it as much within the first few days because initially I only had a mouse and used the onboard keyboard thing.

Right, there were no hardware issues that it showed.

..and yes, even with the sound card disabled, the freezes persist.

What do you mean by the hard disk LED?

Edited by MrSmartAlec, 30 December 2008 - 09:58 PM.

wwarrior

wwarrior

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

..and yes, even with the sound card disabled, the freezes persist.

What do you mean by the hard disk LED?

Ok - you can reenable your sound devices then.

The Hard Drive Led is typically a red led on the front of the case (if it was hooked up) or it could be within a new display of some sort your case may be sporting.

See if when it locks up the HDD LED stays lit.

Also, are you running any odd startup programs like Fraps.exe or perhaps multiple anti virus programs - these might be tripping over things - and if Fraps is running, it may be capturing screenshots (by default) causing these freezes.

Rog ..