Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

low profile AGP video card for Foxconn 661FX7MI

• Please log in to reply

mraskin

mraskin

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Hello there

I have a PC (low profile tower, motherboard Foxconn 661FX7MI). I just purchased a new 22" wide screen monitor. And now I see that my PC's video card does not support the wide screen.

On the motherboard there is AGP 8x slot for an aditional video card.

Can anyone tell me which brand and model video card I need to get in order to make my new wide screen monitor to work properly. :)

Thanks

P.S. I've checked at local computer stores , they tell me that the AGP has been discontinued and they don't have low profile AGP video cards which would support wide sceen.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Before you jump to upgrading anything, have you upgraded your onboard GPU to the latest drivers? They can be found here. Personally, I think if you upgade to the latest driver set for your onboard GPU, I believe it should support some wide screen resolutions.

If you want to proceed to buy a new card, NCIX has this one available. Keep in mind that it is a supplier SKU from NCIX. What this means is that NCIX doesn't keep it in stock in their inventory, but they will order it in for you. NCIX's suppliers have A LOT of these in stock, so you should have no issue getting them. If you use the low profile bracket, you'll lose the VGA port, so make sure you're monitor can be connected via DVI.
Also, what is the wattage on your PSU? Adding another video card, may be too much for it. You'll also need an additional molex cable to power this GPU.
James

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Hi James
Of course I would preffer not to upgrade any hardware if possible.
In the weblink to Foxconn motherboard in the "drivers download" section I see lots of all kinds of drivers.
Which one (i.e. type) I need to look for?
Thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Assuming your OS falls into one of these categories:
Windows 98,Windows 2000 Workstation,Windows XP,Windows 2003 and is a 32bit OS. Then follow the link below.
http://www.foxconnch...ID=en-us0000458
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 December 2008 - 12:14 AM.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
my motherboard is 661FX7MI-RS

Edited by mraskin, 29 December 2008 - 02:11 AM.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Hi James
I just finished the installation of the latest VGA drivers.
After the install I do not see any change, i.e. as far as stretching the picture it is still the same. :)
What's next?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
After the installation, reboot.
After you have rebooted your machine, you'll need to make the adjustments yourself as nothing is automatic. Since I don't have your motherboard and have never dealt with something similar to your particular setup, I'll give you the best directions that I can, however, they will be vague. If at any time you need help, please provide a image of your screen (screen print on your keyboard) and I'll be able to better assist you.

Step 1:
You'll need to locate the video card properties on your task bar on the right, with the running background services. The icon displayed could be anything, but by putting your mouse over each one, it should help you locate it.
Step 2:
Once you've located the onboard GPU icon on the lower right hand side of your screen, right click it and then left click properties.
Step 3:
At this point, I cannot really give you any exact directions without a image of what you are seeing. Basically what you are looking for is the option to alter the resolution outputed by your computer. Check what the native resolution of your monitor is (likely 1680x1050) and set it to that resolution.

Good luck. Again, if you need more precious directions, please provide me with an image.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 December 2008 - 08:33 PM.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Thanks James :)
All worked like a charm. Thank you very much for speedy help :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem, glade I could help :)
James