Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up a wireless connection using a dial up ISP

• Please log in to reply

Pelley

Pelley

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Good Morning All,,

I am hoping that someone can help me. I purchased the Dell Inspiron Mini's as Chrsitmas gifts for the kids. Neither of them have a diap up modem. I did buy a externel dial up modem. They are all wireless. My problem is we have no high speed in my area(in the sticks of course).
I have a dial up isp.
Is there anyway to set up a home network where they kids can go wireless. I don't plan on having all the laptops online at the same time. But I thought it would be convenient than running telephone cords everywhere.

Please let me know asap.. I will probably have to go back to the Electronics Store..

Thanks so much for all your help.
Please let me know what it is that I have to purchase..

Michelle

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wireless routers are only available for broadband connections.
It is possible to have one laptop connected to the phone line and have the others go through it (Internet Connection Sharing via wireless) however that laptop would have to be on for anybody else to use it. The alternative solution, as you say, is phone cable everywhere but you can only have one laptop on at a time with this method, whereas with the Internet Connection Sharing method they could all use it together. It'd be very slow but it'd be possible.