Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me please!

• Please log in to reply

PeterMack

PeterMack

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just bought this router and can't get into the setup page after entering ip 192.186.2.1 into I.E. I've been to Belkins website and followed the setup guide as well as following the intruction book and am metwith conflictong info. Do I need to install the drivers on the disc first and then follow the setup guide from their site. I'm going insane trying to set it up and my partner is sick of me going on about it. Helpme please or I'll have to find a new girlfriend because of either Belkin or my stupidity.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
What do you mean you can't get into the setup page? Do you get the 'Cannot Access Page' message? Or do you simply not know how to login? You should always download all available drivers for your Network, before you start doing anything else. What, exactly, are you trying to 'set up'?

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
My description was a bit vague. Trying to set up 2 pcs to share bb connection through the router to a cable modem. I have configured the router to the modem, pc no.1 to router, and the browser. Yet when all is done and its time to set up the router config thrugh I.E. "192.168.2.1" it will not open the router config page.

The router came with an intruction booklet that was for Win2000, not XP. Have insatlled drivers from disc but when I clik on SOHO netwoking etc. it starts the XP network setup wizard. Belkin have been no help as sending out a techy from India may prove expensive.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Make sure that the Router is ready and that it is detecting that the computer is connected. To verify this the Ready light on the router should be on solid and the light for the port that the computer is plugged into should also be on. If this is correct then all you should have to do is open up your Internet browser and type 192.168.2.1 into the address line and push Enter. If it does not come up with the log in screen then it is not connecting properly with the router. Try a different port on the router or a different CAT5 cable going from the computer to the router and try again. If that still fails, try emptying the Temporary Internet files cache folder and try again. If it still fails hold down the reset button on the back of the router for about 5 seconds or until the lights go out and start blinking. Wait for it to stop blinking and go back to the ready state. Try again to connect. Check the TCP/IP settings for the network card on the computer you are using. It should be setup to "Obtain an IP address automatically", if it isn’t change it and restart the computer. Once it is restarted, try again. If that still does not work type 192.168.2.1:88 into the browser address window.

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Dan but I've tried all of this. I spoke with an english speaking representitive from BElkin today and they seem to think that the Router is knackered. This may be the case but may faith in Belkin after reading alot of reviews is not favourable.

The disc that came with it has the SOHO software but as said when applied it reverts to the XP wizard and doesnt use the drivers from the disc. I have manuallyconfigured the TCP/IP to 198.186.2.1 but it still won't open the router page in IE. Loosing my teather. If there is anything else you know of could you let me know. Thanks again.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Odd.. Are you still able to browse the internet whilst connected through the router? Does your LAC display any error message?

Go to Start > Run > CMD > ipconfig /all
Note your IP, DNS and Gateway addresses - are they correct for your network?

Can you ping the IP address of your router?
Can you ping an external IP address like 199.181.164.1
Can you ping an external site by name like www.yahoo.com
If you can ping your router but not an external site, make sure your gateway IP address is correct.

If it is, and you can't access the Internet with programs like IE, Outlook Express, or other web browsers, you may have corrupted Winsock entries(fix is supplied further on). If you can ping external websites, but not your router, then it is your router malfunctioning - it will be good for confirmation, and means we will be able to focus on that.

It's possible that your TCP/IP stack is corrupted, although I do not think this is the case, it will not hurt to try the fixes. Please try the following:
1) Download the Microsoft Hotfix Patch here.
2) Download and run the WinSockXP fix.
3) Run the following commands in Command Prompt:
Start > Run > Cmd > netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Start > Run > Cmd > netsh winsock reset

Is your Belkin a wireless router? If it is, then when you try to run the setup disc, are you still connected to your modem (not through your router)?

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Its a wired unit F5D5230.

I'm not able to connect to the Internet at all when connected through the router. Done ipconfig/all whilst pluged into the router but it does not show the ip address for the router which should be "198.168.2.1" correct? it shows 10.0.0.0. Then I have configured it manually to said ip. Still won't connect to anything neither router or net.

I'll try the winsock fix and get back. Cheers.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Did the winsock fixes help?
If not, I found this handy Setup Guide, and I think you should use it. Go here for this guide - you'll probably want to download it to your computer. I think this will help you - it seems to cover your problem of not having an IP Address. Let me know if it helped or not.

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The belkin setup guide was one of the first things i'd tried and it helped up until the accesing the router part, from there on is when the problem started, cannot access the router setup!!

As for the winsock fix, have to wait until my girlfriends gone to work or she's likely to strangle me for going on about the router again. Keep you posted.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Did you specify your IP?
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click on Local Area Connection 3 > Select Properties > Click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties > Select 'Use the following IP Address'
IP Address: 192.168.2.41
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Preferred DNS server: 64.160.192.70
Alternate DNS server: 206.13.29.12
Click 'OK'

-- Have you tried all of that?
After you've done that, you should be able to connect to the Router's setup page.

Advertisements

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Tried that Dan as well as the winsock fix and its still the same problem. I nw have no idea what the problem is. I've changed all the cables and tried it 2 different pcs the only differnce being that when I run SOHO NetSetup on my laptop it say "more than one network adapter is installed. You will need to use network control panel to adjust ypur settings" is this the problem?

Also my network conn. page does not have a local area connection 3 icon, only 1394 net adapter and local area connection adapter.

Is the software too old??

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I now see why you are so frustrated -- I'm getting frustrated and it's not even my router! :tazz:
Can you please post your Computer's specs?

Please turn off your computer(s) and unplug your modem and router. Wait five minutes -- plug your modem back in, but wait for all of the lights to turn on and remain steady -- Once all of the (necessary) lights are on steady, plugin/turn on your router and wait 30 seconds. Then proceed to turn on your PC(s). Go into Command Prompt and do ipconfig /all -- has anything changed? If not, then repeat the above process, however before you do so, uninstall all Belkin software on your computer and turn off all firewalls on your computer (make sure they won't just start up again on reboot). Once your computer starts up, try installing the Belkin Software from the CD again, and then proceed to follow the setup guide. If this does not change anything or does not work, then please ensure that all lights on both the router and modem are on steady.

Are both of your computers running the same Operating System? Which OS are the computers using?

Have you updated all drivers on your computer?

**Check if the Router's 'Ready' light is on steady (again).

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Also, try resetting your router.

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
One pc is running XP Pro and the other Home. Will do all you have said, could well be ZA that keeps booting up on restart that is causing the problem but not certain. Thinking of leaving work early just to get it sorted and give you some peace and quiet!!! Get back this arvo.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Also, if you have SP2 installed, you may need to disable the Windows Firewall.
-- Set up your Network:
Open the Control Panel and select Network and Internet Connections. Click on Set up a home or small office network. This will launch the Network Setup Wizard which will guide you through the process of configuring your machine.

On the Welcome screen click Next. Then click Next again which will take you to the Select a connection method page. Select This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network. Click Next.

On the next page enter a description & name for the computer. The name should be unique on the network and not contain spaces. Click Next. Now enter the name of the workgroup. The default entry of MSHOME is fine, but you should use the same workgroup name on all computers. Click Next.

You now have a choice, if you wish to be able to share files between the computers on your local area network then Turn on file and printer sharing. Click Next. You then have an opportunity to review the settings before they are applied. Click Next. Wait while the wizard applies the network settings to the computer, the process could take a few minutes.

Once the settings have been applied you have the opportunity to create a Network Setup Disk to speed the configuration of other Windows computers (including non-XP computers) on your network. This requires a blank floppy disk. Click Next. The disk will be created. Click Next and then Finish. You should then select Yes to restart your computer.

Edited by Dan G, 09 May 2005 - 04:50 AM.