Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me please!

• Please log in to reply

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
None of it worked Dan, sorry mate. Here are the specs of the PCI'm trying to connect the router to. I have managed however to connect my other PC AMD 64bit 3000+ to this PC through the router, so that they can communicate with one another so I just donīt get what the problem is. IP's on both whilst connected to router show 10.0.0.37/38. I disable everything and unistalled, reinstalled the software. When I started the netsetup from SOHO again it said i have "more than one net adapter connected, do you want to open network control panel to adjust your settings", I click on yes and nothing happens???

Aspire 1350
XP Home 5.1 build 2600 SP2
Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0
Mobile AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MMx, 3dnow, 790mhz
190MB Ram

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I have managed however to connect my other PC AMD 64bit 3000+ to this PC through the router, so that they can communicate with one another so I just donīt get what the problem is. IP's on both whilst connected to router show 10.0.0.37/38.

So, you can now send files from one computer to the other?
I'm not sure what that 'more than one adapter' message is on about -- I'll look into it. However, if you can share files between the two computers, it means your router is working, and therefore the lack of internet connection is caused by something else.
Have you set up one machine as the 'host' machine?
I'm a little busy right now, however I'll post again later.

Edited by Dan G, 09 May 2005 - 10:31 PM.

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I figured out the 1394 adapter has something to do with a firewire connection so that is not being used. What do you mean by host machine? Do you mean using one pc to connect to the net and the other pc connects through the first one? Thought I knew what this gig was about but now appears I'm abit of a noob!!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Pete, how is your Network setup?
ping 127.0.0.1
If everything is ok, you should get the following response (or something similar):

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=32

If the above "pinged" ok, next you should ping your cable modem NIC IP. This is the second network that connects to your soon-to-be shared computer, and is a subnet of your cable provider

Type ping [yourISPIP]
yourISPIP = Your IP Address.

Finally, ping the other computer on your network -- does that all work?

And yes, you are correct about the Host machine -- however it doesn't apply to your situation; my bad :tazz:

You shouldn't be getting an IP of 10.0.0.37/38. Go to your router and reset it -- do you now recieve a 192.168.0.x IP Address? If not, turn off your computer, and then reset the router, wait two minutes, and turn your computer back on.

Is ICS installed on both of your computers?

Have you checked if you can actually share files with the other computer?

Try to ping your computer and the other computer by their Computer Names.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Pete, what software does the Belkin installation disc install on your computer? What does it do? Why is it necessary? What happens if you don't install this software?

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The software? Good question. I doubt its installing any drivers as they are bot required for XP. However I believe it just Belkins version of the "network connections2 so you dont have to use windoes to share files etc. Two icons a ppear in the programs list under Belkin SOHO: Netsetup and Netshare. Clicking on netsetup simply brings up XP's network config app and the other brings up a box sowing that pcs name on the network as well as allowing you to selct files you wish to share etc. I have found both my pcs on this and can share files but again the router is not cooperating when I try to access it. Iīve also tried to enter the router setup without the SOHO sotware installed but its the same result.

Have not had a chance to try the other ping tips you posted last time but will have a go tonight. Thanks.

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm considering sacrificing the router to the gods and setting up a host and client system instead, just to keep my girlfriend happy. (If I'm online and enjoying myself playing online etc. she can't use the net!!)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Well, can you just try one last thing:
1. Uninstall all Belkin Software from your computer.
2. Disable all firewalls on your computer.
3. Turn off your computer.
4. Unplug the router from the modem and computer.
5. Reset your router -- wait two minutes.
6. Plug your router back into one computer, and the modem.
7. Turn your computer back on.
8. Run the Windows Network Setup Wizard -- follow all instructions etc.
Note: Do not install any of the Belkin software.
Does your network work?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Also, check if your Adapter is functioning properly:
1. Right click on My Computer -- select properties.
2. Select Hardware.
3. Select Device Manager.
4. Expand the option 'Network Adapters'.
5. Right click on your network adapter (Pete, do you have two network adapters there?) and select Properties.
6. Under the tab 'General' make sure, that the "Device status" is: "This device is working properly" -- if not, use the 'Troubleshoot' button.
7. Under the 'Advanced' tab: Some network adapters allow to configure the connector to be used (in case of Combo adapters), and whether to use on Twisted Pair (TP) cabling Full Duplex" (= receive and transmit at the same time) or "Half Duplex" (= receive OR transmit at a given time).
8. Under the 'Driver' tab ensure that the driver is fully updated.

PeterMack

PeterMack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Dan the man. If you were nearby I would kiss you and maybe evn worse. Its working as I type. Strange thing is it seemed to have something to do with the order in which the cables are connected. Would you believe it. Once again thank you very much for your time and patience. Could not have done it without you. Although when I'm got the other PC connected and I'm playing online I may be posting again. Top man. Pete.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Finally :tazz:
Good job, Pete.