Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dr. Watson / Windows Notify Error for Right Click AVI files

• Please log in to reply

whooley

whooley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello
I download a .rar file then 3 extract applications - AlphaZIp, RaR, then WinRar because the first 2 weren't working.
I stopped downloading the .rar file half way through and it might have been corrupted.
So I downloaded another small one successfully.

Problem:
When I right click on the zip, avi or any media file, the Dr. Watson message comes up that windows has to close, or sometimes the windows notification box comes up and says the same thing.

Bigger Problem
I performed Uninstall on the AlphaZip and RaR programs through All Programs> the program name> Uninstall.

They weren't removed so I went to the folders themselves to delete the files - I could remove some but others cause the Dr. Watson or Windows Error message to come up.
I also went into HKEY to delete the folder (which I could) because I thought it was these two programs causing the error.

So at this point I have 2 programs that are 'half' on my system (WunZip Rar is still on there)
and
When I go to unzip ANY file, like zip, avi, etc. error message comes up again.

I read through the posts on this site - but I am not sure if you think I have a virus with this? Research I did says there was a trojan with this but that was 2005 and all major antivirus programs should catch it - I run AVG Business antivirus and am now using Kapersky online free virus checker - both have found nothing.

I have windows XP 2002 Home edition Service Pack3

I hope this enough information.

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE: I found 2 viruses with Kapersky but not with AVG
Trojan.win32.obfsucated.vcb

I tried running AVG and it skipped the directory of the virus and said 300,000+ files were checked in 20 minutes - which is impossible - so the virus must be blocking the virus checker from checking the folder with the virus in in

CAn you suggest next steps?
Thanks

Edited by whooley, 29 December 2008 - 11:26 AM.

Advertisements