Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen goes black

• Please log in to reply

Young Shooter

Young Shooter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Folks,
First time ever using a forum for help so fingers crossed someone out there can help me !
I was using my PC (Windows XP) and surfing the net, I left my PC for 2 mins and when returned the screen was blank, I have tried turning off and on, but each time the PC starts up, my icons flash on the desktop for a split second then it goes blank again, even if I just turn the monitor off, once turned back on the icons flash up for a split second then it goes blank again !
My biggest worry of all is all the kids photo's and video clips I have saved on the PC (I have 3 kids, aged : 5, 4 and 2) and about 2 years ago my PC crashed due to a problem with the hard drive and we lost all our memories, so really hoping someone can help another disaster.

Cheers
Young Shooter

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello Young Shooter,

Can you get to the desktop in Safe Mode.

Restart the computer > repeatedly tap "F8" during start-up > at Advanced Options choose "Safe Mode"

See if the desktop will load. If able to load the desktop you can try to run a system restore to an earlier date.

Young Shooter

Young Shooter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried tapping the F8 key yesterday at start up and it did go into safe mode, but unfortunately like everything else it just flashed up on my screen for a split second, if i turn the monitor off an on (in safe mode or normal desk top) the screen flashes on for a split second then blank again.
Turned off last night and back on today after over 12 hours but still exactly the same.
What i did notice today was that although my screen looks black, depending on how the light hits it i can slightly see my desktop icons and I can make my cursor move, but its really difficult to do anything with it.
Its been suggested that it might be a problem with the "Video Card" or "Monitor" what do you think?

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
What type video card is in the system (AGP,PCI.Integrated) ?

Could try and reseat the video card in the slot.

Check monitor cable to make sure properly connected and no damaged pins.

Do you have another monitor you can test on the system?

Young Shooter

Young Shooter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I dont have another monitor to try, but ive got one on order which is due tomorrow so i'll try that and see if it fixes the problem and let you know.
Thanks

Young Shooter

Young Shooter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Again, it was the monitor, plugged in the new one and problem solved.
Cheers for your help !

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Thanks for letting us know the results.