Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winphlash BIOS update won't run...

• Please log in to reply

rexusdiablos

rexusdiablos

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All,

I'm installing winphlash1656.exe for my Gateway since I wiped my hardrive.

At the final stage I'm asked to specify a new BIOS file.

I don't have the slightest clue as to what I'm supposed to be doing here.

When I leave the default xxxx.ROM an error message tells that the valid input cannot be found.

Any ideas on this?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With all due respect if you don't know what you're doing with regards to flashing the BIOS, you shouldn't really be doing it. Would you really get into a car and drive it down the motorway/freeway if you'd never driven before?

rexusdiablos

rexusdiablos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Fair enough.

I selected the specific application based on my product serial number on the official Gateway site.

I am following the read me instructions step by step. It seems fool proof enough:

Installation for Windows Vista

1. If you have not already done so, locate and double-click the file Winphlash1656.exe. Files extract to the C:\Cabs\Winphlash1656 folder.

2. From the Windows Vista default Start menu, click Computer, double-click Local Disk (C:), double-click Cabs, and then double-click Winphlash1656.

3. In the C:\Cabs\Winphlash1656 folder, double-click Winplash1656.exe.

Note: In Windows Vista, you must right-click Winplash1656.exe and then choose Run as administrator.

4. In the Phoenix WinPhlash dialog box, verify that Backup BIOS and Flash BIOS with new setting is selected.

Note: If the location is already listed as C:\Cabs\7808\Winphlash\BIOS Files\7808.wph, click Flash BIOS. Otherwise, skip to step 5.

5. In the Specify New BIOS file window, click Browse. Browse to the BIOS directory (example: C:\Cabs\new bios), and then click Flash BIOS.

6. After the BIOS has completed, click Restart.

I'm stuck at some point around steps four and five.

Is this something that I can do without then?

Edited by rexusdiablos, 29 December 2008 - 03:34 PM.

rexusdiablos

rexusdiablos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alrite, I researched it a little more and heeded your advise.

I'm going to skip this altogether since by bios is already flashed if my laptop is booting in the first place.

:) ninja like relexes avert yet another disaster...