Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new pc with no OS

• Please log in to reply

starcraft

starcraft

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
hi, i just bought this pc http://cgi.ebay.co.u.....=tab=Watching

and was wondering which OS would be best for my hardware specs, i do love xp pro but i know i wouldnt get the full use of my RAM and CPU but i heard that xp64 has a lot of issues with software etc

thanks in advance star :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just to start off, I hope you realize your CPU isn't running at the advertised frequencies, that would be impossible. At this point, I recommend all 64bit users run 64bit Vista. Keep in mind, with your particular setup, there would be no gain in performance to go 64bit over 32bit, aside from the possibility of a future upgrade. If you love XP, I'd recommend you stick with it and go with the 32bit version, unless you intend on upgrading to 8GB of RAM shortly.
James

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
If you're used to XP, Stay with XP, Windows only see anywhere between 2.75->3.75 Gigs of ram on that system in 32bit mode. Like the James stated unless your planing on putting another 4 gigs in that system and bump it up to 8 gigs you don't really need 64bit.

If you have to run 64 I would def go vista. But honestly I would wait until end of year 2009 @ the latest and get Windows Seven. Now I don't Want to start a debate. But I've used Vista, it is on my laptop, and honestly strongly dislike it. I have as well tried windows Seven even though it is only in Beta and I prefer windows seven over vista. Mainly because of how some of the features are implemented/introduced to you.

So final thought. If you have XP (like I did) laying around that you can through on it, go ahead other wise if your going to buy an OS get Vista, unless a retailer near you still has stock of XP (but XP pro and Vista Home Premium are about the same price now so it is up to you)

HTH, Jon

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
thanks for the replies, so its done i shall stick with xp pro then :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

thanks for the replies, so its done i shall stick with xp pro then :)

Can't go wrong with good old windows xp.

Make sure you get the latest sp3 and all new updates for it due to some security exploits. There is some nasty adware / search engine hijackers going around lately also.

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i heard of an osx86 which is meant to be rly good

what will be the proper stats of my cpu btw ?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

i heard of an osx86 which is meant to be rly good

what will be the proper stats of my cpu btw ?

I'm not a mac guy all I know is Windows but I would stay with windows. That osx86 is bound to have driver issues with related hardware..

Ya that ebay lister is wrong saying 9,600 MHz lol.
They just put that to make it look better.

It is a q6600 which is a quad core but its really 2.4ghz. You don't add up 2.4 x 4 like the ebay lister did.. It just doesn't work that way. Each core is there just to handle more tasks. Today in time the architecture is really more important than clock speed but if you have a newer architecture cpu with a high clock speed (ghz) thats a plus.

I also have the q6600 its a great cpu.

freewaremaster

freewaremaster

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am still XP pro user, its because I am limited by my hardware factor but your rig is a different story. It is definitely VISTA ready.