Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive does not work after doing virus removal

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I used your help in removing some really pesky viruses in my computer, and your tech in that section was very helpful. But after being so relieved to finally get the viruses out, I now noticed that my cd/dvd drive does not work. The lights blink like it is going to read a disk, but then nothing happens.

I have XP media edition 2005. I went to PC help and tools on my computer to do the application recovery for the DVD burner, media plus. And there is another section to restore drivers too, but I am not sure which one to choose.

Where can I go to view the drivers and see what or if I can restore them?

Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello bettei...

Does the drive show in My Computer?

wannabe1

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Yes it does. And if I open my Windows Media Center,I was able to play a music cd just fine. And I went to "My pictures" and tried to copy a photo to a cd, and I think it did.
I also went to the device driver, and checked for any updates, and was told I have the most up to date one. I just seem to be missing the Wizard window that you are prompted with when you insert a cd. Before when I inserted a CD I was prompted on what I wished to do, like view it, copy it, etc. Now it lights up like it is working, but I wait, and that prompting window does not come on.

I don't know how to restore that Wizard (or what ever that prompt window is called)

Edited by bettei, 29 December 2008 - 05:44 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Run the Autoplay Repair Wizard and see if that will correct the problem.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I tried that, and it still does not work. It sounds like it is running normally, and the light flickers like it is reading it, but I get no prompt window.

I also went to my computer and clicked on the cd player to see if it would eject, and it did. And it can play music through the media center...so I don't know what is going on.

I wonder if I did a system restore, if it would help. But if I did that, would the last virus I removed with "moveit" also be back?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's look at the settings then.

In My Computer, right click on the optical drive and choose "Properties". Click on the "AutoPlay" tab and select a content type from the drop-down menu...then put a tick in the box next to "Prompt me each time to choose an action" and click "Apply". Do this for each content type in the drop-down menu...clicking "Apply" after each selection, then click "Ok" after the last one is applied.

Does this address the issue?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
No, it didn't change anything. It's strange, because the drive is working, I'm just not getting the prompt. I can click on the drive manually and it shows me what is on the cd, I can even view it if I manually click explore.
I ran the auto wizard once again and then logged off, which I never use...I just turn off my computer. And now it works! I don't know how the logon settings got changed, but that must have been it.

Thanks!

Edited by bettei, 30 December 2008 - 11:58 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
To fix your autoplay issue....
Download, and run fix.bat: Click here
Restart computer.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip