Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe not working

• Please log in to reply

ClaraMae

ClaraMae

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I first thought that explorer.exe was missing. When i started my computer there was nothing but cursor, and desktop wallpaper. When I went into task manager i found explorer.exe. When I tried to run it is said windows couldn't find it. I changed the name, and i can get it to run, I think. It shows in the process. But i still have no icons, taskbar, or anything. My husband and I have both fooled around with it and may have accidentally changed something that we shouldn't have. I all started about a week ago. My computer did some automatic updates, and i couldn't get online. After about 3 hours of fooling with it i uninstalled IPV6. Not sure what it was. I think that my firewall was disabled as well. What do I need to do? Thanks for any advice. Does the same thing in safe mode.

Edited by ClaraMae, 29 December 2008 - 08:19 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Can you boot into Safe Mode?
Do you have Windows CD?

ClaraMae

ClaraMae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can boot in safe ode, but it does the same thing. No I don't have a windows disk. I have also tried to do a system restore, but it doesn't do anything. I have downloaded Malwarebytes' anti malware, and installed it but it wont run. on my c: drive there are several application files that were created on the day that my desktop disappeared. example vkefbog (when i go to properties to version and internal name it is catrvps.DLL) THere are probably 10 of them, with different names. Another example application file alfqentw.exe. Some say they were created last night. If I did it I have no idea how. I was afraid of deleting them. Thank You

Edited by ClaraMae, 30 December 2008 - 02:25 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like your computer is seriously infected....
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

ClaraMae

ClaraMae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you so much I will post in that forum.