Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PESKY VARMINTS![RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

birdscar

birdscar

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've seen this problem elsewhere in the forum and tried to fix it following the information provided. I downloaded and ran (or run) AboutBuster, Spybot, HijackThis and a number of others (AVG, AdAware, CWShredder, Trojan Remover) to no avail.

The problem is an annoying Virus Alert telling me I'm infected with Downloader Agent 12.D or 11.Q. Each time it shows a different file name (usually in the System folder). I don't know if these are being being caught before any real harm is done or if they're causing two other annoyances which are -

1) IE (usually in a Google search) opens a separate ad window containing reference to purchasing X (whatever my search term was) and a link

2) in the browser window certain words are highlighted as hypertext which have nothing the do with the page info itself. When I check the properties for the link it indicates a foreign site (ie; www.faraway.com) with subfolder links that include my search terms. For clarification, these text links are not the standard "click here for related info" links - they are definitely foreign.

As mentioned, I've run HijackThis and ABoutBuster and saved the logs in hope I might get some direction on how to remedy this. So ....

ADBUSTER LOG

-- Scan 1 ---------------------------
About:Buster Version 4.0
Reference List : 26

ADS not scanned System(FAT)
Attempted Clean Of Temp folder.
Removed Uninstall Key (HSA)
Removed Uninstall Key (SE)
Removed Uninstall Key (SW)
Pages Reset... Done!

-- Scan 2 ---------------------------

HIJACK THIS LOG

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:29:31 AM, on 5/5/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\BUGS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: Class - {DC73983B-D030-AD00-8DD5-12322CEA9002} - C:\WINDOWS\ATLPE32.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Business PDF Writer] C:\PROGRAM FILES\BUSINESS PDF WRITER\BUSIPDF.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrojanScanner] C:\Program Files\Trojan Remover\Trjscan.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SmcService] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {01FE8D0A-51AD-459B-B62B-85E135128B32} (DD_v4.DDv4) - http://www.drivershq.com/DD_v4.CAB
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.mac...ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {A3009861-330C-4E10-822B-39D16EC8829D} (CRAVOnline Object) - http://www.ravantivi...n/ravonline.cab

Any help is greatly appreciated....

cheers

Advertisements

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi birdscar

Please download all items to your desktop first.

Please read through the instructions before you start (you may want to print this out).

Please download and install these programs - don't run them yet!!

Download the CCleaner unzip the file to install.

Please download and unzip
About:Buster to a folder. Inside the folder is a readme file that has instructions on the use of the program.
AboutBuster MUST be updated before you use it.
Start AboutBuster, click the update button, check for update, drag the box to the side and hit download updates, close the box . Don't run it yet.

Please download and install AD-Aware.
Check Here on how setup and use it - please make sure you update it first.

Download and unzip cwsserviceremove to your desktop. use either link below:
cwsserviceremove

cwsserviceremove.zip

Download CW-Shredder at the link below:
CWShredder

Open Windows Explorer & Go to Tools > Folder Options. Click on the View tab and make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is checked.
Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and untick "hide extensions for known file types" . Now click "Apply to all folders"
Click "Apply" then "OK"

Reboot into Safe Mode: Click here if you don't know how to do this.

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS AND BROWSERS Scan with HijackThis and put checks next to all the following,
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: Class - {DC73983B-D030-AD00-8DD5-12322CEA9002} - C:\WINDOWS\ATLPE32.DLL

Then click on "Fix Checked"

Using Windows Explorer, locate the following files/folders, and delete them: If found
C:\WINDOWS\inlql.dll/sp.html#12047
C:\WINDOWS\ATLPE32.DLL

(and any other files with the same name that end in .dll, .exe or .dat, you may find them right next to each other, example - appsw.exe, appsw.dll, appsw.dat)
Exit Explorer.

Run AboutBuster . This will scan your computer for the bad files and delete them. Save the report (copy and paste into notepad or wordpad and save as a .txt file) and post a copy back here when you are done with all the steps.

Scan with AdAware and let it remove any bad files found.

Clean out temporary and TIF files. Go to Start > Run and type in the box: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure all are checked and then press *ok* to remove:

Double click on the cwsserviceremove and when asked to merge say yes.

Run CW-Shredder - Hit the FIX button - let it run and fix what it finds.

Open the ccleaner.
Place a check by everything in the Applications tab.
Place a check by Internet Explorer, Windows explorer, and System in the Windows tab.
Now click on Run Cleaner

Reboot into normal mode.

Download the Hoster from here Press "Restore Original Hosts. and press "OK". Exit Program.

Please run the following free, online virus scans.
http://www.pandasoft...n_principal.htm
http://housecall.tre.../start_corp.asp
Please post the logs From Panda virus scan and HJT.log we will need them to remove previous infections that have left files on your system.

Kc :tazz:

birdscar

birdscar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i'll do that and get back with the results.

thanks muchly

birdscar

birdscar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thatman

thanks again for your expertise.

i followed the process and my results were as follows;

AboutBuster Log

Scanned at: 11:53:08 AM on: 5/5/05

Removed Uninstall Key (HSA)
Removed Uninstall Key (SE)
Removed Uninstall Key (SW)
Pages Reset... Done!

Pages Reset... Done!

Scanned at: 4:18:32 PM on: 5/10/05

Pages Reset... Done!

Pages Reset... Done!

Housecall and Panda gave me no logs on completion, although Panda got caught up in the final stages when scanning OUtlook. I don't use Outlook but Panda ran for a long time (20+ mins) in scanning mode at this point.

Everything is working great.

I have a question regarding dll, dat and exe files. How do I know if it's a "safe" file? Some are still in my Windows folder that look like they were created during the virus period and have 0 byte size. Can these be deleted?

muchos gracias

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi birdscar

Let me see a HJT.LOG

then we wil take a look at the file just copy and paste the file name to notpad I will do a search on them

birdscar

birdscar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
a recent HJT log

Scan saved at 12:00:59 PM, on 5/13/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BUSINESS PDF WRITER\BUSIPDF.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERMUTE\SPYSUBTRACT\SPYSUB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\BUGS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Business PDF Writer] C:\PROGRAM FILES\BUSINESS PDF WRITER\BUSIPDF.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrojanScanner] C:\Program Files\Trojan Remover\Trjscan.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SmcService] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.mac...ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {A3009861-330C-4E10-822B-39D16EC8829D} (CRAVOnline Object) - http://www.ravantivi...n/ravonline.cab

the "odd" files i found (there may be others) are:
winby32.exe, tsc.exe, csrb.exe, wingi32.exe

thanx again, oh wise one :tazz:

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi birdscar

Trend Micro tsc.exe

csrb.exe, wingi32.exe, winby32.exe bad file's

birdscar

birdscar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey

thanx again...and again....

"Trend Micro tsc.exe" ...wuh?

okay. so there's a few other files on there that have similar extensions and/or were created in the same time period as the "infection" and have )bytes allocations. should i yank them all?

"..beer's to you..."

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi birdscar

Rerun the fix in post 2, run it four time's it may remove some of the file.
Check for the file's on your system make a full list the post me what you have found.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.