Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mup.sys error turns into even worse issue.

• Please log in to reply

BioQuark

BioQuark

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I upgraded my PC with the following :

XFX MIA78S8209 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5200DOBOX

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK

I've kept my old HDD and DVD Drive, as well as my PSU. My initial issue was Windows hanging and then rebooting, and repeating. If you boot in safe mode, you could see it hang at mup.sys. I've encountered this problem far too many times, but luckily, I knew how to fix it. Popped in a Windows XP CD, entered the recovery console, did a "chkdsk /p /r" for good measure, "fixboot" (successful), and then fixmbr (also successful). Rebooted, but alas, the problem persisted. Usually this procedure always fixed it. I figured a repair install might also work, so I did just that. It copied the installation files, rebooted, and instead of going to the XP installation screen, it just hangs at a black screen. I can enter the BIOS, I've tried changing boot device priority, but nothing helps. I only recently read that another cause of the mup.sys error is swapping out components, especially motherboard, which is fixed by changing the PnP settings in the BIOS. However, it's too late for that now. I don't really think it's the mup.sys error anymore, I think it's a whole new beast.

I also used to have a separate partition for Fedora 10, and the GRUB bootloader.

So basically,

Before:

Computer on, shows the whole "this much RAM blah blah" and "press DEL for setup screen" screen (excuse my lack of knowing the name of this screen", goes to mobo "splash screen" (once again, excuse my not knowing the term), then GRUB. Fedora worked, but XP hung at mup.sys.

Now: Computer on, shows the whole "this much RAM blah blah" and "press DEL for setup screen" screen (excuse my lack of knowing the name of this screen", goes to mobo "splash screen" (once again, excuse my not knowing the term), and now a black screen. No GRUB. I can boot from the CD and run the recovery console, but it's no use. I've also tried running the Windows XP repair installation again, but it reboots, and enters the "black screen".

Any help at all is appreciated, and I'll be happy to provide anymore information if needed. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

BioQuark

BioQuark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Disregard this, I've fixed it by running bootcfg /rebuild and then fixboot