Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Fails to Recognize Brand new USB drive

• Please log in to reply

Draga X

Draga X

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yeah,my sister got a brand new Dane-Elec 4GB USB drive(15 bucks at Walgreens) and on the back it says that it supports Windows Vista,XP,and 2000

Well I have Windows XP Pro SP3 and whenever it gets plugged in, the computer says that the USB is an unknown device in an unknown port.But when I plug in by 2GB older(By this,I mean 1 year old) Toshiba into the exact same port and it works just fine.So what is the problem?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yeah,my sister got a brand new Dane-Elec 4GB USB drive(15 bucks at Walgreens) and on the back it says that it supports Windows Vista,XP,and 2000

Well I have Windows XP Pro SP3 and whenever it gets plugged in, the computer says that the USB is an unknown device in an unknown port.But when I plug in by 2GB older(By this,I mean 1 year old) Toshiba into the exact same port and it works just fine.So what is the problem?

How old is your pc and do you know if you have usb 2.0? Maybe the older usb drive is usb 1.1 and you have an older motherboard that does not support 2.0 and that would explain why the new drive would not function properly. Some of the newer usb devices will only run on usb 2.0

Anyways post that back and also if you do have usb 2.0 try the following:

Goto the motherboards manufacture website and check for newer / updated usb drivers.
Try putting the usb drive in a different usb slot. Put the drive in a slot on the back of your pc and see. Also try it on a different pc maybe your friends or family members.