Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AVG

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Please advise if AVG and Avast Anti-virus program are synonymous!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you referring to being owned by the same company or whether they have similar scanning capabilities? AVG is own by GRISOFT. You can check on the other here :
Avast.

I only have AVG so can't compare product features.

Ron

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
The reason I asked if AVG and Avast are the same is because the last time I got computer back from dealer, Avast had been installed, but I see AVG crop up when I check running processes under CNTRL-ALT-DEL as well as Ashmaisv.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Getting back to Malware Steps, as found on http://www.geekstogo....._Log-t2852.h..., do I do this all in one sitting?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Are you referring to being owned by the same company or whether they have similar scanning capabilities?  AVG is own by GRISOFT.  You can check on the other here :
Avast.

I only have AVG so can't compare product features.

Ron

View Post

If AVG is set to run at boot up, then you will (or should) see its icon in the tray. It's the one with opposing red/yellow and green/black colors. It automatically will update its database and scan on schedule so it hard not to notice. As long as they don't conflict with each other and you have the resources to run both, then no problem. I use to have ACG and ClamWin running at the same time, but cut back on resource use by only using ClamWin when I need it.

Avast could be the better of the two.

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Getting back to Malware Steps, as found on http://www.geekstogo......_Log-t2852.h..., do I do this all in one sitting?

View Post

Posted URL doesn't seem to work, but whether you follow the instructions in one sitting depends on what you do with PC in between sittings. Since you are scanning and looking malware in preparation of posting a Hijack This log, you need to keep from adding/deleting any files to be used with HJT. More importantly, not use your PC online where it can pick up more malware until you are ready to post log.

Ron

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Now I am more confused than ever.Under Malware Removal procdure, it says that I should not install more than one anti-virus program, that they will conflict. It also says later one that "no single program removes every threat" Please explain. However the following is list of anti-virus and anti-spy programs on my computer:

-Avast Anti-spyware, trojan, etc.*

-Yahoo Toolbar with Anti-spy and Popup blocker

-Ad-Aware SE

-Spybot Search & Destroy

*Be advised that Avast runs continually in background

I am still awaiting news on my earlier post concerning definition of "Ashmaisv"

Waiting to get going, Waynf

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
My mistake AVG does not appear as running process, its "Ashmaisv" that appears and the only icon in Systray is "Avast On-line Scanner and its counterpart "Virus recovery database" icon.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
In reference to my posting regarding "one sitting", I was referring to the possibility that closing down between steps due to other things to attend to(non-computer)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

In reference to my posting regarding "one sitting", I was referring to the possibility that closing down between steps due to other things to attend to(non-computer)

View Post

You should have no problems if this is the way you need to do it. Shut down, take care of business, then return to finish up. Just be sure to follow instructions, because as it said, no one program gets it all.

Some anti-virus programs seem to have a problem working with each other. Haven't had any problems with mine, but I just don't need to use the resources for these scans everyday. I use a firewall, scan offline and use free online scans for viruii, even run both Spybot - Search and Destroy and Ad-aware SE both at the same time. It really sucks resources then!

I've been getting a lot of e-mail lately with the WORM_SOBER.S virus in an attachment. Has been coming in from two different mail accounts and "FROM :" listed is a viable Internet company. I know they aren't sending it. Just a very smart bot sending this stuff. Even got SPIM and SPIT out there now. So surf and download on PC/Cell safely.

:tazz: Ron

Advertisements

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
In reference to Malware Steps, I'm wondering if I have to run these programs on-line or not. Under section titled AVG - Download - Homepage, it advises to install AVG, considering I already have Avast!, do I still need to download AVG?

Also, in section Windows Update - Homepage - Dowload SP1a, it is referring to Windows XP installation getting infected. I am running Windows 98SE, does that threat involve me?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

In reference to Malware Steps, I'm wondering if I have to run these programs on-line or not.  Under section titled AVG - Download - Homepage, it advises to install AVG, considering I already have Avast!, do I still need to download AVG? 

Also, in section Windows Update - Homepage - Dowload SP1a, it is referring to Windows XP installation getting infected.  I am running Windows 98SE, does that threat involve me?

View Post

Hi :

If you have the time and space on your HD, it wouldn't hurt to download and run AVG and then Avast!. Maybe between the two of them it will give a thorough check and cleaning. Mainly, they want the programs run to get your PC as clean as possible before you post a Hijack This log. Anything referencing another Windows system which is not related directly to yours can be ignored. I haven't checked but I think there was a sp1 for IE at one time, but if it states Win XP, don't worry about it.

Ron

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
In reference to AVG and Avast, just wondering if AVG runs in background or is like Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware, running when I select it. I'm worried about HD resources, if you look at my profile you will notice that I am running on 32 mgs of ram, pure barebones memory. Having difficulty finding ram chip for this old computer(single sided 72 pin, but that's another story)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It depends on what you want to do. AVG runs at bootup because I have it set to scan all incoming/outgoing e-mail. I believe there are two separate modules. One for mail scanning and one for PC. Mainly, you can go into your Startup menu and select selective start up and go to Startup tab and uncheck all the processes you don't want to run. You'll need to reboot and if you get an alert box saying you are using selective startup, just check the little box that gives you the option whether you want to see the box at every startup or not.

If you have Avast! running all the time, you can opt to run AVG just like Spybot - S & D, etc. If you don't need Avast! or AVG to run continously, disable them and run once a week. TrendMicro's HouseCall is a great little online free scan for viruii. You will need to use IE or Netscape browsers for the scan, but it allows you a choice in directories/files to scan each time. Seems to be much better than McAfee's free online scanner.

Check TigerDirect for your memory. They have a neat way to search for specific memory and can probably burrow down and find what you need. I have a PC I just got running for a friend that has 32Mb of memory. Reads/writes too much to HD when online because of having to use HD as virtual memory. Really, really slow...even on my broadband connection. 72-pin SIMMs come in double sided and I don't see any problems using them. You can call TigerDirect on their toll-free number and ask someone.

Ron

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Having difficulty downloading AVG. Everytime I clickon Download (for Home Edition) I am constantly forwarded to another web page where I click again. There is a section however where one is instructed to start downloading certain files, but I wonder if that is correct.