Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Transferring songs from one computer to another

• Please log in to reply

Laxer34

Laxer34

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is there any way to transfer songs from itunes on my old computer onto my new laptop? I've heard of programs that transfer songs from an ipod straight to a new computer. I've also heard of people using an external hard drive to transfer the songs. Would either of these two ways be a possibility?

Thanks!
Laxer

Note: I've tried searching for solutions, but the directions are REALLY confusing to me on other websites. I'm not really the tech type :)

Edited by Laxer34, 30 December 2008 - 01:52 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
iTunes doesn't store actuall songs. It stores libraries, which are just lists of files (wherever they're).
Move songs to new computer (external hard drive, flash drive, CD, DVD, networking), open iTunes, and point it to the new songs location.

pinksalamander

pinksalamander

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm no expert but I recently made the transition. The tutorials online really confused me too...

The way I did it is probably the 'messy' way. But hey, it worked.

1. On the new laptop, start up iTunes whilst holding down the option key (I think thats the shift key on PC). It will bring up the option to make a new library. Make one, it will of course be empty.
2. On your old computer make a new folder on your external hard drive called 'Songs for Laptop' or something similar.
3. Open iTunes on your old computer. Go into the main library.
4. Select all the songs together.
5. Drag the files from iTunes and dump them in the 'Songs for Laptop' folder. They will take a while to load.
6. Go back into iTunes on your new laptop. Under 'store' select 'Authorise account'. You will have to type in your iTunes stuff (this is only if you have purchased stuff from iTunes store)
7. Unplug your hard drive from your old computer and plug it into your new laptop.
8. Open the folder called 'Songs for Laptop'
9. Select all songs, drag and drop them into iTunes.

It worked for me. It won't cop play lists, play counts or any information you have added about the songs. Some of the names of songs might be weird. Basically any changes you have made to the songs inside iTunes won't be moved.

Hope that made sense. Its probably all wrong but it worked for me!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Is your laptop a pc or a mac ?
Do you have a router or modem/router?
Cheers
Peterm