Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failed to find any drive settings

• Please log in to reply

florika

florika

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hallo.......
I have a problem with my brother's pc.
His computer had the virus pinfi, which I tried to delete....
anyway the result is that when I open the pc,I get the blue screen saying:
unmounted boot volume....
I can't use the utility repair of the windows xp, cause it says it can't find any drive settings...
I dont know how to change the bios settings.any suggestions???
Also I'd prefer If I saved the pc files...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds like the boot sectors been knackered up by the virus.
Go into the bios (usually by pressing the DEL key a few times just after you switch the system on), and run the auto-detect hard drives facility. Make sure it finds the drive OK. If the DEL key doesn't get you into the bios, then theres usually a message on screen just after you power on, that will tell you what key to press.

Providing the drive is detected correctly, then I don't see any reason why you should need to edit the cmos settings for the drive.

Let me know what happens before we go any further. Also, let me know which OS the system is running.

florika

florika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have windows xp pro.
the del key works fine...it finds the hard drive, but there's sth like light blue written:
typematic Rate
typematic Delay and there's an x in front of them in light blue again...maybe this show sth.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I have windows xp pro.
the del key works fine...it finds the hard drive, but there's sth like light blue written:
typematic Rate
typematic Delay and there's an x in front of them in light blue again...maybe this show sth.

View Post

Those are 2 bios settings that relate to the keyboard controller. See if you can locate the settings in the bios & let me know what values they are set to.

If you can't find them or are having trouble with it, see if the bios gives you an option to reset the entire thing to defaults or fail-safe settings. If so, use it.

Where or when is it reporting that error message about typematic rate/delay?

florika

florika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
finally I decided to format the hard drive...
thanks for the advice anyway.