Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Open Office won't recognise Java

• Please log in to reply

sweetdave

sweetdave

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have just (yesterday) installed Open Office 3.0. I wanted to use the 'Family' add-on, which keeps track of birthdays, etc.

On attempting to use it, it says I need Java Runtime - and won't go any further.

I have Jave 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_12 (as shown on Add/Remove Programs). Is this not the 'Java' that Open Office requires?

A few other applications have stumbled over not finding Java, but they were trivial, and when repeatedly downloading Java failed to satisfy them, I gave up on them. But I really would like to get Open Office working properly.

Any ideas, please?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I presume you mean this Add-On:
http://extensions.se...ect/addressbook

This is nothing more than a standard OpenOffice database, it doesn't need or use Java.

Can you provide a link to this Add-on of which you mention please?

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks for replying.

Something in OpenOffice seems to need Java. I started to experiment with Database - (See attachments 1 to 5) - and ran into the 'No Java' roadblock.

Then I tried downloading the Family/AddressBook extension - from extensions.services.openoffice.org.

It, too, fails for lack of Java. (Attachment 6) (This is what I hit yesterday)

I hope these screen-grabs help illuminate what is happening.

I like the concept of OpenOffice, but so far am not getting much joy from it! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• OOfice1.gif
  • OOfice2.gif
  • OOfice3.gif
  • OOfice4.gif
  • OOfice5.gif
  • OOfice6.gif

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can take the computer to java.com and download the newer version, see if that solves the problem.

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated

But now I am really confused!! :) -

I went through the Java installation - all went OK apparently,with no error messages -
UNTIL I tried the 'How do I test whether Java is working?'

The grey square that should have the 'dancing Duke' etc. remains resolutely grey, with just a red cross in the top left hand corner. Hmmm!! :) No animation.

However, a quick run through a couple of bits of Open Office didn't come up with the 'Java needed' error - so now I don't know where I am.

I am totally unfamiliar with Open Office (except for OO Writer, which I have used before) - so I propose to play around with Open Office for a few days, see how I get on - and, if I may, keep the option open to come back to you if needed?

Thanks again