Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb errors/problems when connecting external devices.

• Please log in to reply

chicken_little

chicken_little

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi all,

Strange one this i feel.

I have a samsung laptop hdd in a revoltec external usb caddy. Just lately whenever i connect it to my XP base unit the system slows right down, it is recognised in ' my computer ' sometimes, but i can never open it, I either get an error saying device blah blah because of an i/o error.

Or when i try to drag n drop files i get an error saying file could not be moved / copiued due to incorrect parameter.

The same happens with a flash drive.

It makes no difference wether they are connected to the mobo sockets or to my powered usb hub. Both the caddy, and flash drive work perfectly on my Vista laptop.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello chicken_little...

Strange one, indeed.

Let's empty the prefetch and reinstall the root hubs. Do this without the external devices connected.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". In the Prefetch window that opens, click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All"...press the Delete key, accept the change, and close the Prefetch window.

Open Device Manager and expand (click +) Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right click on each USB Root Hub and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Reboot and let the Root Hubs reinstall...then reboot again.

Did this resolve the problem?

wannabe1

chicken_little

chicken_little

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi, thanks for the quick response. Happy new year to you all.

Done what you suggested. When i plug my ext hdd in i get the recognised 'bing bong' melody, and the drive ligh is lit, but in ' my computer' It does not get listed.

As for the flash drive problem, i have solved it by reformatting it. I have also reformatted the external hdd but it is still the same.

It works as normal when i plug it into my wife's xp laptop, or my vista laptop.