Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor Only on Desk Top

• Please log in to reply

JimWoody

JimWoody

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings-

I recently caused a self inflicted boo foo on windows 2000. While attempting to change my desk top appearance using themes. I grew impatient and crashed out of it as it didn't want to change in the time I had allowed it. As such on reboot, I now have no desk top, I do have a cursor, but nothing else.

I logged out and logged in as another user and the desk top is there.

I have read much on the net about missing icons and explore. However; this is a different issue that knows one in my IT group can figure out.

Since I broke it, I have made it my mission to figure it out.

Clearly its a profile issue. Problem being, I was logged on as admin and Now I can go anywhere since i have no desk top, no right click nothing..

Can i Copy one profile to another to get the desk top back? Is there a default icon group..

AWwwww

Thx Wood

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Note: The Windows XP default desktop view and Start menu are different from the Windows Classic View (e.g., in Windows 2000). Therefore, navigating to certain items can be different. In the interest of broad applicability, most Knowledge Base instructions assume you are using Classic View. For information about switching your Windows XP default view to Classic View, see In Windows XP, how do I switch to the Windows Classic View, Classic theme, or Classic Control Panel?

1. From the Start menu, select Settings, and then Control Panel. Double-click System.

2. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under "User Profiles", click Settings.

3. Click the profile you want to copy, and then click Copy to.

4. In the Copy To dialog box, click Browse to select the directory to which you want to copy the profile. This will usually be C:\winnt\profiles\username or C:\Documents and Settings\username, where username is the username of the profile to which you are copying. When you've selected the directory, click OK.

5. Under "Permitted to Use", click Change.

6. In the field labeled "Enter the object name to select:", enter the username of the user who needs to have rights to view this profile. Click Check Names to make sure that the user is found. If the user is not found, you may need to click Locations... to select the correct domain (or, if it is a local account, to select the computer name), and then click OK.

7. Click OK twice.

8. If you are prompted to continue, click Yes. Allow a minute for the system to copy the profile.

9. In the User Profiles window, click OK, and then click OK again in the System Properties window.