Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection/Ethernet Controller Problems

• Please log in to reply

Metaphow

Metaphow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I recently reformatted my hard drive and am experiencing problems connecting to the internet. Although I'm plugging the ethernet cable into the jack, it doesn't read that anything is there. I thought it might have been a software issue, but changing internet setting ect. didn't do anything. After trying that I checked the hardware list and found that I was missing the driver for an "Ethernet Controller". It didn't give any info on it other than the name, so I assumed it was talking about the integrated motherboard one. I got the motherboard model (Intel D945GPM Desktop Board) and searched for ethernet controllers on it and came up with an (Intel 82573L Ethernet Controller) and an (Intel 82562GZ). I downloaded the driver for the former and put them on a USB flash drive and moved it to the computer with the problem, but when I run the driver installer it opens a command prompt type window and then closes in under a second.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Metaphow
Welcome to G2G
Now that you have the driver go back to the hardware list and right click on the network card.
Click on properties then click on update driver. Point to the file you downloaded.
Did you get a motherboard disc with you computer ? This should have an installer on it for the network, Sound etc.
Cheers
Peterm