Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

have 2 cd roms and neither work

• Please log in to reply

kutey504

kutey504

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have dual cd rom drivers. They worked until I moved the computer from one location to another. (the slave was installed by a friend as a "surprise" to me, but I could burn cd's etc.
I am now getting the yellow warning and both say
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
does anyone have any idea what needs to be done to get them working?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have dual cd rom drivers. They worked until I moved the computer from one location to another. (the slave was installed by a friend as a "surprise" to me, but I could burn cd's etc.
I am now getting the yellow warning and both say
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
does anyone have any idea what needs to be done to get them working?

This will fix you up just make sure you follow the instructions.. You will be working in the registry and if you follow it correctly you will not mess up anything. I have check it and its safe.

http://www.pchell.co...r_code_39.shtml

kutey504

kutey504

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
none of the filter things were listed when I took the steps so there was nothing to delete. Are there any other ideas? :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

none of the filter things were listed when I took the steps so there was nothing to delete. Are there any other ideas? :)

All you did was move your pc from 1 location to the other?? Is that all? Have you recently changed operating systems also??
This is a toughy for me to explain so go here and read what it says and follow the directions.

I recommend you using the Use Guided Help to delete the registry entries unless you are an advanced user. Just watch what you do.

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;314060

after all of that and still no luck, goto my computer and device manager and find the cd roms click on them and press uninstall if they are listed. Then reboot the pc..

Still no luck after that shut down the pc and unplug one of the cd-rom drives all together and turn on the pc again and you should have the cd rom working.

IF it still doesn't work your registry is beyond corrupted for your drives and you may have to reload windows as I would hate for you to though.

Thats pretty much all I can help with as I am pretty tired and a free volunteer.

Good luck!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
or...
2. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

1. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
or...
2. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

ya if you do not see the filters at all in the registry this patch should fix it. Report back if it worked.