Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mixing SATA and IDE harddrive

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
First of all, are IDE and ata Harddrives the same ( just for my general knowledge.

To the point.. i have a computer, its not a brand name or anything.. i had it built. Now something I did not know is that it had a SATA harddrive already installed (250GB). I have a regular IDE hard drive(80GB).

The only IDE slot im seeing on the motherboard connects to my DVDRW, set to master.

I was wondering if i could use that IDE cable and connect the IDE 80 gig harddrive as a slave. Would it work, or am i just out of luck??
I realllllly want to add this harddrive to the computer.

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ya as long has you have one on master an the other on slave i will work fine.

I have a custom built comp and have 2 hard drives, one sata and the other IDE, i had to get a sata cd drive cause the way my case is the drive are too far away for the ide cable to reach.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yeah its working.. i took a chance and was happy to find out it worked without issue. Ok i have another question... the 80 gig IDE harddrive was not a formatted one. It was set up as a master in another CPU and I had different user accounts and one main account that was password protected. Is there anyway for me to access the password protected account without reformatting? If i need to be clearer, I will.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
if your usin win xp pro, just turn simple file sharing off (so you get sharing & security) go to the folder of which that account resides and take ownership of the folder. after you take ownership give your self full read + write access if the OS hasn't done so already. Then you should be good to go.

Note: On the bottom of the take owner ship dialog box make sure you check the box (apply to all sub folders, files, subfiles etc...)

Edited by amw_drizz, 31 December 2008 - 08:37 AM.