Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cd/dvd drives not recognized

• Please log in to reply

rmestep

rmestep

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a virus and bought some software to remove it. That is when I noticed the dvd drive is not listed in my computer. I installed a new drive thinking it was bad, wrong answer, still did not show one. But when I insert a disk it try's to read it and led light blinks to let me know it is tormenting me. Device manager shows there is a problem with it. I tried to see if it was turned off in bios, well that is where the problem is. It shows the correct name for the new drive, but when I arrow down to it, it skips over it. I am thinking about reformatting the hard drive but I am afraid the mother board will not see the drive on a reinstall of windows. I tried system restore to 20 different dates and it wont restore. It also changed my clock to military time? I am running xp pro on a 945 intell board box set 2 gig ram. oh it it has a lot of my hair that I pulled out near it now. need more info just ask I will answer what I can. Rodney

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello,

What program did you use to remove the virus?

To change the clock settings:

1.Open Control Panel
2.Click Clock,Language, Region
3.select Regional and Language Options
4.click Customize this Format
5.select Time tab
6.time format should be h:mm:ss tt

For DVD drive:

Try removing the filters. Below is a link with instructions.

http://www.pchell.co...r_code_39.shtml

Here is the same info from MS article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

If you belive the system is infected I recommend you visit the malware removal forum. Just use the linkbelow and follow the instructions and someone from that forum will assist you.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Hope this helps.

rmestep

rmestep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
sorry so long to respond. I found the virus added filters and when I removed them I got the blue screen. So I went ahead and reinstalled windows, now it works fine. thanks for helping.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Glad you sorted it out and Thanls for letting us know.