Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error loading operating system

• Please log in to reply

afs16554

afs16554

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,

I get an "error loading operating system" when I restart the computer.

I can't get into safe mode, I can't load Windows normally, so I tried to do a parallel installation but I ran into a problem. When I try to install I don't get the, press F8 if i agree to the license terms, select partition, etc. Instead I go straight to the final part of the installation of XP where it's installing Windows.

I've tried putting the HD into a different computer but i get the "blue screen" when i try to get into safe mode. If there's another way of taking the data out or backing it up please help me. Thank you all in advance.

-afs16554-

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I've tried putting the HD into a different computer but i get the "blue screen" when i try to get into safe mode.

Lets define a few things...
Bad computer= COMP1.
Hard drive from COMP1=HD1.
Good computer (the one you tried putting HD1 into)= COMP2.
Hard drive from COMP2=HD2.

1) Did you remove HD2 from COMP2 before installing HD1?
2) Did you just install HD1 into COMP2 as a second drive? (meaning COMP2 now has two hard drives)

If #2 is what you did, then, did you set the jumpers on HD1 to the "slave" position?
If you did #2 and didn't set the jumper on HD1 to the slave postition, then COMP2 blue screened because Windows was confused as to which drive to boot from.

If you did #1, then it's no surprise COMP2 blue screened. The only way for a hard drive to be moved from one computer to another, and then also boot up, is if both computers are exactly the same... or at least have the same motherboard.

Sorry if this is a bit confusing. I'm trying to find out what steps you took when you say you put the drive into another computer. There are certain criteria to follow when doing this, or things won't work correctly.