Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Double Click doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

domer07

domer07

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Something has changed in my mouse setup where it will not open application shortcuts with a double click or most drop down menus on IE. Sometimes, especially on drop-down menus, the menu will flash up and then disappear right away.

It still functions most times with single click and I can still right click to open the applications. I tried modifying mouse properties (speed) in Control Panel, reloading the Logitech software, using System Restore to go back to a date prior to the problem showing up. Nothing has worked so far. I looked at the Microsoft site and the only reference was to look in the WIN.INI file for (doubleclickheight= & doubleclickwidth= ) but did not even find those lines in the file, so could not adjust them. I have seen some other faint references to Registry fixes and modifications, but am not that well versed or knowledgeable in Registry changes or downloading software to look at possible causes in the Registry. I would try it, but have no experience.

Suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. I posted this a week ago and got no responses.

Thanks,

domer7

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Now don't start messing with the registry.

I have to ask the obvious... did you try another mouse? Also, sometimes the keyboard can cause the mouse to appear like its messed up. You might try swapping in a new keyboard and a mouse to at least isolate the failure to either being one or both of those items.

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Oddly enough, a different mouse worked. I don't really understand why, because the mouse being used when left button double click didn't work registered a single click just fine. Not knowing the integral workings of a mouse, it confuses me, but then many things about computers confuse me :)

A mouse clicks, and in Control Panel, you can see it click, so why the second click doesn"t register in time is beyond me.

Thanks makai for the help!!