Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continuous Restart

• Please log in to reply

Jogray

Jogray

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I hope someone can help me
!
I was working on my computer and suddenly it reboots, gives me the options of safe mode etc but nothing happens just goes in circles.
today it did it again and its giving me this message During the last bootup your system hung for an improper CPU Speed setting. blahblah
but it just sits there...... any idea's ?

i did get one other error message before it got this bad that was telling me the ntfs.sys file or something was corrupt,
hells bells i dont even know what im talking about anymore:(

i have loads of work i cant bear to lose or i think i'd change careers

please help Jo (sorry im a girl and not technical )

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you tell us anything about the computer....model number? motherboard....you've got several things going on here.....

Improper CPU speed is one issue

ntfs is another.

What have you done? DId you drop into BIOS by any chance? Fiddle with the settings?

Jogray

Jogray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I thought there was more than one problem :tazz:

i went into the bios to change the boot order to see if i could boot from the cd but it doesnt happen, (i'm on my laptop at the moment so cant even get in the big computer to get any info)

hmm the hard drive is a maxtor 6E040L0
award bios ,
its an evesham axis, have had it 3 years, but keep it well looked after and serviced and upgraded, i didnt do anything at all, one day i was looking at a website through a newsgroup and when i closed the browser window it shut down, its done it a few times since but this time nothing is happening, i reinstalled windows xp a month or two ago from a brand new disk i'd bought £250 !!!
i work on the computer all day, everyday , i have a web design business....i am due to buy a new computer but wont get it for 4 weeks yet, and need to work i have about 5clients on my back at the moment, i know, i'm rambling, i'm panicking ;)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
So you can get into BIOS...good

Drop back in, look for a setting that says LOAD OPTIMAL settings....usually on the main page at the bottom...sometimes hitting F7 will do it, then save.

If that is not there, look for load DEFAULT settings. Then save, then reboot

Jogray

Jogray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
yeah i did that - what i get next is, the monitor picture i usually get when the tower is off, then it says power down........ the monitor light goes to amber but the tower is still going because i can hear the fans

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did that...or did it again?

Can you do it now? (are you still able to get into bios, or is the system now functional)

Jogray

Jogray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i can still get into the bios yes.

now what happens is after i save the default setting in the bios, the monitor say's no signal and powers down.

ive tried changing the boot up sequence to two different drives, but its just not picking the xp disk up, its going from bad to worse isnt it ?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Slow down. So, you are not getting the CPU SPEED error now? correct?

Now, what makes you think you have two harddrives with two boot sectors? Why did you say that?

Your terminology is ...awkward.

Tell me what this system was like when it was working.

Jogray

Jogray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
yes i'm still getting the cpu speed error, when i close the bios thats when the monitor powers down but the tower is still running with all the necessary lights

the cpu speed is 1400mhz and thats the right spec for the processor i have, which is an AMD Athlon

before i had this trouble the computer was running like a dream no problems at all.

i cant understand why now when i leave this bios that the monitor powers down to standby

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You understand that a athlonxp 1400+ does not really run at 1400mghtz? That is a rating for athlons....not a speed.

If you try to run an athlonxp 1400+ at that speed you are overclocking it.

By what was it like before, I was asking was it a dual boot machine? You said it had two harddrives with two boot sectors...that doesn't make sense.

You had HOW MANY OPERATING SYSTEMS on this? One or Two?

We are having communication issue here. You're frustrated. Walk away from the machine for a while, clear your head.

I think you had one operating system with windows xp and two drives...one for storage/backup maybe.?

We need to resolve the BIOS thing first. If necessary, underclock your cpu by lowering the fsb so we can get stable.

Advertisements

Jogray

Jogray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i wonder why it would change now i havent ever set the bios speed myself

i have one hard drive running on one OS,

i'll reduce the cpu speed and see what happens,

Jogray

Jogray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the only other option on the cpu speed was 1050 ive changed it to that and now i am getting the choice of starting up in safe mode, however it gives a list of drivers ten hangs again , progress, not much but some :tazz:

Jogray

Jogray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
oh wow, its running through the chkdsk !

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sorry, I am going insane....I am helping too many people and confusing the harddrive thing...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
got a model number on that Evesham?

I want to look at the specs and get a manual if I can