Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What will happen if I had more than 26 partitions?

• Please log in to reply

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello everyone!

Windows XP names hard drives/partitions using the letters of the alphabet but there are only 26 letters in the alphabet. What will happen if I added another partition if I had 26 partitions?

Edited by QuizMaster, 31 December 2008 - 04:35 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Good question! When you try it, let me know what happens.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You probably can't make 26 partitions anyway. Don't forget Windows assigns letters to the drives in the computer as well so you'd only have 24 at the most with no CD units and Drives A and B are reserved.

Under Windows you cannot have more than 26 drives because there are only 26 letters available. If you want more use Volume Mount Points, and this is how you make them, it's only available under XP and Server 2003 but I dare say Vista and Windows 7 should be capable too.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the reply, Neil Jones.

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
So if I had 24 partitions, I won't be able to insert a USB Drive in the computer?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
You could probably mount it as described previously but it'll initially want to give it a drive letter which is normal Windows behaviour.
If truth be told, if you are using all 24 letters for what not, you may want to consider slimming it down a bit.

QuizMaster

QuizMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

You could probably mount it as described previously but it'll initially want to give it a drive letter which is normal Windows behaviour.
If truth be told, if you are using all 24 letters for what not, you may want to consider slimming it down a bit.

I'm just using A (Floppy), C (System Drive), D (Personal Drive) and E (CD-RW Drive). F is assigned when I insert a USB Drive.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
I don't think running out of drive letters is a concern for you yet :)
But I dare say there'd be a way of using your USB device once you're past Drive Z.