Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer stuttering

• Please log in to reply

timmybob12

timmybob12

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all.

I've had a really odd computer problem ever since I built my machine about a year ago.

Basically, my computer will start stuttering every second. It happens randomly, anywhere from 2 minutes after boot to 20 hours after boot. It also happens with nothing running or when I'm playing a game, just totally random. Once it starts stuttering, its best described as freezing for 1 second, with sound looping/everything else frozen, and then unfreezing. This process repeats over and over again and the only solution I've found to fix it is restarting my computer.

Now, I've tried looking for help to fix this for a very long time and have never found a solid solution. Some things I have done so far....

-Reapplied thermal paste to CPU
-Run various virus scans
-Turning off hyperthreading in BIOS
-Cleaned out computer case
-Updated drivers
-Repairing Windows XP
-Ran MEMtest(came back fine)
-Defragged

My computer specs are as follows:
Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6750
2 Gigs of crucial ddr2 ram
GeForce 8800 GT
550w corsair power supply
GIGABYTE p35-DS3P motherboard
Windows XP Pro Edition SP2
Onboard sound card
Western Digital Raptor HD 150GB and a 120GB secondary drive

Here is a picture of my computer temps, taken with SpeedFan - http://i39.tinypic.com/wpbhh.jpg

I really have no clue on how to go about fixing this now....any help is greatly appreciated.

Please ask me if I need to give any more information for you to assist me.

Thanks.

(Don't really know if this is the right place to put this, but then again I have no clue what is causing this ><)

Edited by timmybob12, 31 December 2008 - 08:04 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Either Speedfan is messed up or your power supply is.

Do you have a Multimeter to take actual measurements of your power supply output? If you boot to bios, and look at the power forms, is it reading bad voltages too?. If it is, I would say your PSU is really messed up!

timmybob12

timmybob12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Either Speedfan is messed up or your power supply is.

Do you have a Multimeter to take actual measurements of your power supply output? If you boot to bios, and look at the power forms, is it reading bad voltages too?. If it is, I would say your PSU is really messed up!

What would be considered "bad voltages"? I'll give a look in BIOS and write down what they are.

edit- well I couldn't find them but is my PSU really that messed up? can you suggest a new one I should get?

Edited by timmybob12, 31 December 2008 - 05:11 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Speedfan is reading...
+12v as .38v
-12v as -16.64v
-5v as -8.68

These are considered bad!

timmybob12

timmybob12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Speedfan is reading...
+12v as .38v
-12v as -16.64v
-5v as -8.68

These are considered bad!

what should they be around? could anything be causing that besides a faulty PS or do i just need to replace it

timmybob12

timmybob12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, I think speed fan was just messed up

I tried it with a different program and got these results- http://i44.tinypic.com/4h2koj.jpg

Edited by timmybob12, 31 December 2008 - 05:36 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, that looks better! I wonder why Speedfan was so confused? :)

As far as the stuttering, a lot of times it's due to onboard sound/sound driver. This has been my experience, anyways. If you have a sound card lying around, you might try installing it to see if it makes a difference... you will have to disable the onboard sound in bios if you do. Also, is there anything in Event log that might give a clue?

timmybob12

timmybob12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Well, that looks better! I wonder why Speedfan was so confused? :)

As far as the stuttering, a lot of times it's due to onboard sound/sound driver. This has been my experience, anyways. If you have a sound card lying around, you might try installing it to see if it makes a difference... you will have to disable the onboard sound in bios if you do. Also, is there anything in Event log that might give a clue?

I am using onboard sound so that could possibly be the problem....I'll go out and buy one and see if it fixes anything.

As far as event log goes...don't really know, anything I should look for?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

As far as event log goes...don't really know, anything I should look for?

I guess anything that might look to be causing some performance issues. I have no idea what they might be as we're talking about windows here. It could be anything. :)