Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer Service error when trying to run Installer Clean Up

• Please log in to reply

mavalowe

mavalowe

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Desktop PC is:
Dell System OptiPlex GX260 Series
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.26 GHz, 512MB RAM
MS Windows XP Professional Version 2002, SP3

Just finished working with tech from Malware removal forum, machine appears to be clean. However, when I attempt to install AVG I get error message about old version of Roxio Easy CD Creator (5). Tried to remove it via Add/Remove programs -- get the Installer error.
<> Downloaded Windows Installer Clean Up Utility - get Installer Service cannot be accessed error message.
<> Downloaded Windows Installer 4.1 -- says it's successful, but isn't listed in Add/Remove programs
<> Loaded SP3 (thinking that might include Windows Installer - still not listed).
<> Retried Windows Installer Clean Up Utility again - get same error message.

AVG install log (this is not the full log) but it lists the following:

Computer operating system: WNT:5.1/2600,WinNT (Windows XP) Service Pack 3

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005

Suggestions? I'm a little confused by the Windows NT vs Windows XP information. (This PC was originally configured by UC San Diego techs -- did they use "network version" of XP? or it really doesn't make any difference?)

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. Happy New Year!

Edited by mavalowe, 31 December 2008 - 06:17 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
WindowsNT is regular registry folder, since Windows XP is one of NT type operating system.
I don't see anything about Roxio in AVG error message.
What I see, is AVG error, which forced me to drop AVG after many years of using it.
AVG ver. 8.0 has been having a lot of problems, including installation problem like yours.

Free alternatives:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://filehippo.com...vast_antivirus/
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.c...load/index.html

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on.
If you decide to install Comodo, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

I use each of those on different Windows versions, and all is good :)

mavalowe

mavalowe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi Broni -- Thank you so much for the info. Decided to give Avira a try. Loaded just fine. And is working well. Interestingly enough though, each time I log in I get a message about it detecting TR/Spy.ZBot.HKT.1. It "quarantines" it, but the message comes up each new log in, which makes me think it's "reinstalling" itself, maybe. (I know enough to be dangerous). Or as long as I quarantine it, am I okay? The only other oddity is that my firewall setting seems to get turned off.

I think I'll run HJT and post in Malware forum.

Thank you so much for your suggestion and assistance. Take good care!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)

I think I'll run HJT and post in Malware forum.

Very good idea.

mavalowe

mavalowe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Broni - Thank you very, very much! Once I finished working with the tech in the Malware forum I was actually able to uninstall Roxio Easy CD Creator. However, I really like Avira and so I'll keep it. This topic can be closed. Thanks again!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
Avira is top notch...